Finally, summer is here. Many hours spent studying in the library and attending class are replaced with relaxing in the heat and enjoying the sun. Although this “island-time” schedule is blissful, it can interfere with a healthy lifestyle. Summer is full of cookouts and parties with tempting treats and refreshing adult beverages. You prioritize other things on your to-do list than getting up and hitting the gym. It’s all fun and games until your health gets hurt, so start with a fitness kick that will continue throughout the season. Consider these tips to stay in shape over summer!
1. Don’t make excuses, make time.
Somewhere between reading a book on the beach and enjoying a drink by the pool, make time for exercise. It’s so easy to put things off until tomorrow, or tell yourself that summer is about relaxation. It’s best to get active in the morning, that way it is over and done with and your day won’t be interrupted. Weaving some workouts into your summer fun will make you feel even more relaxed, energized and confident.
Consider these quick kinds of exercises that will work you out while you enjoy the nice whether:
- Take your dog for a walk.
- Ride your bike around town or on the trails.
- Go for a jog.
- Do some laps in the pool.
- Hit the baseball or soccer field for some one on none training.
- Walk around the track at your local park.
It also helps when you bring a friend with you. It will keep you motivated and will make your workouts more fun.
2. Be consistent.
This does not mean the same workouts every day. Consistent exercise is a persistent effort to make working out second nature. This can be accomplished with a dedicated mindset and some scheduling. Know what plans you have ahead of you each day and then work out when time is available. If you are busy in the morning and afternoon, be ready to exercise at night. Try to make an effort each and every day, so you can overcome summer’s lazy daze.
3. Take advantage of your resources
If you’re getting bored with the same workout routine, the Internet is your solution. Google, YouTube, Pinterest, Instagram, Twitter and Facebook are awesome and mostly FREE resources to utilize. There are exercise accounts on each of these platforms that can help spice up your workouts. Workout tutorial videos and schedules are easy, fun and adaptable and are often advised by fitness experts.
4. Resist temptation.
Summer treats are delicious, there is no doubt about it. But, if you’re not careful, your indulgences at all those summer BBQ’s will start to show. Because you know it’s not all about the gym… eating is a critical part of staying in shape, and summer presents obstacles for your healthy track. If you splurge, don’t think of it as a failure. It’s perfectly OK to treat yourself, there’s no need to deny yourself that yummy rocky road ice cream or that mouth-watery strawberry booze drink. But, everything in moderation. Pair healthy eating habits with frequent exercise and you’ll be bikini ready every day. Consider these healthy eating tips to keep cravings away, and your will power in tact.
- Have a small snack before you go to a party, like an apple or a yogurt, so you are not totally starving and can’t control yourself around food. This is especially helpful when there are a lot of pickies, like chips, pretzels and other appetizers, calling your name.
- Start your meals off with a salad so you’re already a little full when you get to those ribs.
- Always eat at a table with a plate instead of hovering over the chips and salsa. This will help keep your portions in check.
- Always keep some water with you. Not only is it hydrating on those super hot days, but it helps you stay fuller longer. Plus, water is just really good for you.
- Try and limit your alcohol intake. As difficult as that may be, you’ll be thankful in the morning when you don’t have a hangover, a bloated belly, and you can actually be productive.
5. Have fun
The biggest reasons people fall off the exercise wagon is because they get bored with the same old, same old. Working out and being active doesn’t have to be the same lame things every single day. It’s summer time for crying out loud! Whether you just put on some music and dance in your short shorts and tank top, or go for a 6-mile run, it doesn’t matter! You can have a blast getting and staying fit. There are no real rules to follow because every one is different, just do whatever works for you!
Torie Gray is a junior at Florida State University. She is finishing her Public Relations degree and starting her degree in Editing, Writing and Media. She enjoys tennis and running, and loves all water sports and the beach. As a college student, she enjoys a busy lifestyle, and is involved in many on-campus organizations and clubs. She is excited to be a StudentRate Campus Coordinator and hopes to provide useful information for other college students. Go Noles!