It’s important to know about domestic violence facts. Domestic violence: Violent or aggressive behavior within the home, typically involving the violent abuse of a spouse or partner. Domestic violence is a growing problem in our society. Much like the #MeToo movement has shed light on sexual assault, it is time to shine light on domestic violence and encourage victims to step forward and get help.
We often tend to notice the violence that goes on in our world but fail to notice the violence that goes on within our own homes or the homes of those we know. Violence knows no gender, race, orientation or anything along those lines. It happens to men and women alike, which is often forgotten or ignored. Here are 10 domestic violence facts you should know.
1. 10 million men and women are victims of physically abusive relationships every year.
2. Women between the ages of 18-24 are most commonly abused by a partner.
3. A women is assaulted or beaten every 9 seconds.
4. About 1/4 of women will experience domestic violence in their lifetime.
5. Domestic violence is the leading cause of injuries women.
6. 3 women are murdered every day by a current or former partner.
7. 1 in 7 men will be the victim of severe partner violence in their lifetime.
8. 10 million children are exposed to domestic violence every year.
9. Only 25% of assaults are reported to the police per year.
10. Boys who witness domestic violence are twice as likely to to abuse future partners and children.
If you or someone you know is experiencing domestic violence, you can call the Domestic Violence Hotline at 1-800-799-7233.
Let us know what you think about domestic violence facts in the comments below!
Featured Image Source: weheartit.com
Lover of Grey's Anatomy, reading, and cute dogs. MIZ!