Small town, country town, farm town, drive-by town, cute town, tourist town, diverse town. A town filled with those who love tradition, those who are passionate for progression, and those who live in a silent coexistence. Living and learning in a town with variety is what growth is. Culpeper, Virginia is by no means perfect, but what is a perfect town? We’re all different. With our unique backgrounds and identities, it gives room for our views to blend together as we age. Being young and dumb in a small diverse town is also beautiful, because we still communicate the differences shared and we learn and grow with each other for each other. There’s no doubt that Culpeper natives are fighters (and fight, a lot). Whether you were born and raised or just attended high school here, there’s no denying these memories growing up in Culpeper Virginia:
1. Deer. Deer everywhere.
And learning how to yield to them while driving.
2. The three new roundabouts chaos.
I guess the arrows on the lanes weren’t enough for people to understand.
3. 1 in 5 cars in Culpeper are pickup trucks.
Then there were those who went so hard they didn’t have mufflers.
4. Hardcore loitering in the parking lot after school. Trunks open and all.
Low-key becoming a popularity contest.
5. Going to high school football games but only occasionally watching the football.
Only paying attention to who wins (and for CCHS, it wasn’t often).
6. Getting stuck behind a farm tractor and being confused as to how a “Farm Use” tractor was allowed on public roads.
And how it wasn’t excused when you got to school late because of it.
7. 229 being a living road of hell when you got stuck behind a slow car.
Or a Farm Use tractor.
8. Riding the Walgreen’s turn lane to get to your high school reunion at Target.
But you ALWAYS accepted the challenge because shopping at Target was one of the three things to do in town.
9. Oh. The drama.
Everybody knowing everything about everyone.
10. That feeling where you know even if you hated growing up here, part of you will always love that you grew up in a small town with big-minded people.
What are your memories of growing up In Culpeper Virginia? Let us know down below!
featured image source: weheartit.com
Hello readers! I'm Erin Pollack and I'm currently studying at SUNY Purchase College as a double major Theatre & Performance and Playwriting & Screenwriting. I'm from Culpeper, Virginia but I have big dreams to move to New York City or Los Angeles after college. I write everyday to grow not only as an artist but as a person, because I believe in being the best version of yourself that you can be by existing presently. My latest mantra is "Live for Now", because living with the past or the future only keeps you from being your ultimate self. I hope you enjoy my articles and stay on the look out for any other published works I have!