Every Hoosier family starts somewhere! There is a lot that comes with being a part of the IU family, and you are soon to learn what it is all about! If you’re the first in your family to go to IU, keep reading for 20 things that will definitely happen as a first generation Hoosier
1. Everyone asks you what a Hoosier is.
Unlike many universities, IU’s “mascot” isn’t some cliché animal: it’s part of the family at IU. Make no mistake though, a Hoosier IS NOT a mascot. It seems like at every family gathering someone inevitably asks what the heck a Hoosier is. It’s part of IU & the term has been around since 1833. Get with it.
2. No one in your family understands the beauty of candy stripe pants.
The dream staple uniform of everyone at IU; however your family think they look dorky and weird. Just wait for Christmas when everyone is opening up their own pair of glorious candy striped pants.
3. They have no idea where IU is.
Obviously the main campus is in Bloomington, IN. It’s about 75 minutes by car. Duh.
4. The only thing they seem to associate IU with is basketball.
Which is true, but hello, IU is so much more than basketball.
5. John Cougar Mellencamp
Someone in your family will inevitably define IU by his music. He’s a cool dude.
6. The Little 500 has zero meaning to them. Until now.
The super popular bike race in April every year where cyclers race on teams for 200 laps around the track (50 miles)! Plus huge artists come for the whole week and perform.
7. They have no idea the power of shaking Herman B. Wells’ hand holds.
From getting into IU, to freaking passing your next test, shaking that man’s hand will give you the power & the luck.
8. Your family is under the impression a person can’t dance for 36 hours straight.
Ha. Think again. It’s the second largest student-ran philanthropic event in the country and it raises millions of dollars every year. It’s defiantly possible.
9. When they see photos of campus they probably think it’s pictures from the Harry Potter movies.
IU’s campus is gorgeous. JK Rowling probably told the set designers of Harry Potter to just google IU’s campus to see what she wanted the movies to look like.
10. They assume big school = big parties.
Which is true. However, IU is a very well known school academically especially for the Kelley School of Business, Jacobs School of Music, the Pre-Med program, and Journalism school among many other programs.
Do you have any other signs you’re a first generation Hoosier!? Share in the comments below!
Featured Image: Pinterest