Ah, Southampton…a city which boasts not one but two universities; the esteemed Solent and, of course, Southampton University itself. Day to day life here can be difficult to summarise with City life, two campuses and the joys of Portswood all considered – so we have compiled a list of 10 gifs which most accurately describe what student life at the University of Southampton is really like.
1. When you make it to your first 9AM of the semester (especially if you’re living in Portswood)
Yes, I may be 15 minutes late. Yes, I’m still wearing last nights clothes and yes, you may never see me here again … but I actually made it, and that in itself is an achievement.
2. When you get that Monday evening text from your mate and you know Jesters is on the cards
The palace of dreams is a staple of Southampton Uni culture and the cherished jewel of the city, and if Monday rolls around and there’s not a 50% chance you’ll be necking a Jesticle or two before closing, are you even a Southampton University student?
3. And of course, when they say “Wanna get a Manzils after tonight?”
A classic example of an idea which is far less appealing the morning after … especially if you went all in and didn’t just cheap out on a Peshwari Naan. (Bonus points if Mr. Manzils himself likes your facebook pics).
4. Trying to maintain your best sober impression while handing over your ID at Oceana
Steady your feet, breathe. Try to concentrate on what they’re saying. Can I hear the “That’s Not Me / Intoxicated” mashup playing inside already? Focus. Maybe they’ll let me in this time…
5. Turning up at a random house party on Alma Road for the 3rd time this month
With a notorious reputation for its house parties, you and your mates have probably ended up spending a night in a hazy, neon-lit daze on Alma Road at some point. It’s a classic scenario: “Where shall we go tonight?”, “Well, there’s a party on Alma”… easy days.
6. Looking out onto Portswood high street to see that your overflowing bins have still not been taken
Another week of sneaking the recycling into the bins owned by the family next door … and they better hope you aren’t hosting a house party this month.
7. After paying £3 for a ticket to the Union Cinema instead of selling your soul for a ticket at Showcase
Because a re-run of the original Star Wars trilogy or the premiere of a film that came out 6 months ago is better than nothing.
8. Leaving Hartley library after a solid 8-hour session of refreshing social media and buying snacks from Southampton University shop, and someone says “but you’ve done no work?”
Well, at least you weren’t asleep (unlike the girl you spotted dozing face-down in her psychology textbook on level 4, or…was she crying?)
9. Making your way to Highfield Health Doctors after diagnosing yourself with freshers flu 3 weeks into the semester
Not to mention pretending to think long and hard about the answer to the dreaded question: “How many units of alcohol do you typically consume per week?”. After all, this has nothing to do with my excessive drinking habits, it must be all the shared germs in the lecture halls, right?
10. When your bestie has gossip to spill after mysteriously disappearing mid-way through the night
The pitch-dark Jesters dance floor has long been responsible for bringing together all kinds of unlikely couples. You never know who you might bump into amongst the grime of those tightly packed few square-feet, and It is a known fact that beer goggles are even more effective on night-vision mode.