So, a block party. That sounds pretty normal, right? You and your neighbors get together, everyone contributes some food and drink, and a good time is had by all. But what about if your whole town decided to get together and do this? Here are 10 things you should know before the Iowa city downtown block party.
1. The first Downtown Block Party was held last year in June 2017.
About 30,000 people turned out for the event!
2. Organized street block offs.
Because most of the downtown businesses are just a few streets over from each other, the city can block off the streets for an event like this and still have it be organized! Plus, the Ped Mall (pedestrian mall) is made for events like this!
3. Why is this event such a big deal?
It’s the only event when the city will allow alcohol to be taken from a bar or restaurant to the street. Imagine wandering around on the streets all night with a beer in your hand!
4. If you’re not 21, don’t worry, you can still go!
Because you won’t be carrying alcohol with you, you won’t need a ticket! All other aspects of the event are free!
5. Instead of bars and restaurants checking your ID individually, you’ll purchase a $10 ticket and a cup for alcohol.
That will be the only cup used at the event, so hang on to it!
6. Like other events held in Iowa City, this event is to promote local businesses.
Most of the businesses in the downtown area are locally owned!
7. If you’re worried about leaving your car down there in favor of an Uber or a Lyft home, don’t be!
The meters downtown will be free until 10:30 Sunday morning.
8. A variety of events will be taking place during the Block Party.
Live music, beach volleyball, and a fashion show were in the mix last year!