Houston, H-town, The “H”. Whatever you call the it, this is the city you’ve grown to love. Houstonians have a bond like no other. From checking in on your neighbors during Hurricane Harvey to celebrating the Astros’ World Series win, you’re all in it together. You can’t explain why, but you absolutely love being a Houstonian more than anything else. Here are 10 signs you grew up in Houston.
1. You probably didn’t live in the city area of Houston, but in the suburbs surrounding it.
Katy? Cypress? Tomball? Clear Lake? Sugarland? Kingswood? No matter where you live, anytime someone asked where you’re from you answer “Houston.”
2. You hate Dallas. There’s no real reason why, but you hate Dallas.
A rivalry that will last for eternity.
3. Anytime is Whataburger time.
You order a patty melt, large fries, a sweet tea, and a chocolate shake all for you.
4. You love HEB more than life itself (and their little mascot too).
Anything you’re looking for, HEB probably has it.
5. You have a difficult time explaining what the Rodeo is to anyone who doesn’t live in Houston.
“There’s horses, bulls, and sheep-” “So it’s a petting zoo?” “No.”
6. 281, 713, and 832 are more than just area codes to you.
And you don’t like the addition of the new area code.
7. You spend more time in traffic than you do at your actual destination.
You never take 290, or Westheimer, or the Beltway. Actually, you don’t like driving anywhere.
8. You call the roads running parallel to the highway “feeder roads.”
What is a frontage road?
9. You always drive at least 5 mph over the speed limit and cars are still flying by.
Houston is the one of the few places where 75 mph is considered too slow.
10. You’re a fan of anything and everything that comes out of Houston
The Astros, the Rockets, the Texans, Travis Scott, Beyoncé, you love it all. Throw up the H.
You can’t explain why this city is your city, but you couldn’t imagine growing up anywhere else.