Eating right in uni is one of the greatest challenges of humanity. So make no mistake, you will gain a few pounds in the beginning and it is normal. We all need time to learn to cook just for ourselves with caring. So here are my top ten easy 10 minute recipes for all of you students that just like me, who love eating but not the cooking bit as much. All of these recipes take around 10 minutes to do and most importantly, are healthy and affordable!
Salmon and avocado
• 4 (5- to 6-ounce) salmon filets, preferably wild
• Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
• 1/3 cup plus 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
• 4 cups baby arugula
• 2 tablespoons fresh juice from 1 lemon
• Grated Parmigiano-Reggiano, for serving
• 1 ripe Hass avocado, pitted and cut into 1/2-inch cubes
1. Season on all sides of the salmon filets with salt and pepper.
2. Heat 1/3 cup oil in a large stainless steel skillet over medium-high heat until shimmering. Add salmon filets skin side-down. Immediately reduce heat to medium-low. Cook, pressing gently on back of filets to ensure good contact with skin, until skin is rendered and crisp, about 6 minutes.
3. Meanwhile, in a large bowl, combine arugula, lemon juice, remaining 3 tablespoons olive oil, and avocado.
4. Season with salt and pepper and toss in grated cheese.
5. Flip salmon and cook on second side until a thermometer inserted into the thickest part registers 120°F for medium rare or 130°F for medium, about 1 minute longer.
6. Transfer salmon to a paper towel-lined plate. Spoon salad onto plates, top with salmon, and serve.
• 1/4 medium avocado
• 1/4 cup(s) egg substitute
• 2 tablespoon milk
• 1 teaspoon cilantro, freshly chopped
• 1 tablespoon cheese, Monterey Jack, part skim shredded
• 2 medium tortilla(s), corn
1. Peel and slice avocado; set aside.
2. Thaw egg substitute in the microwave if frozen. Be sure to use a microwave-safe bowl.
3. Combine egg substitute, milk, and cilantro in a bowl. Microwave until mixture holds together, stirring every 30 seconds.
4. Transfer to a serving plate. Top with cheese and avocado slices.
5. Place tortillas on a paper towel and warm in the microwave briefly. Serve alongside eggs.
Lemon chicken with spring veg noodles
• 1 tbsp sunflower oil
• 2 skinless chicken breast, cut into strips zest and juice 1 lemon
• 1 tbsp caster sugar
• 2 tbsp grated fresh root ginger
• 2 tsp cornflour
• 125g pack or 2 sheets medium dried egg noodle
• 200g frozen pea and bean mix
• 4 spring onion, sliced
• 1 tbsp roasted cashews
1. Heat the oil in a non-stick pan, then fry the chicken for 5 mins until almost cooked. Tip onto a plate.
2. Pour 250ml water into the pan with the lemon zest and juice, sugar and ginger. In a bowl, mix the cornflour with a little water until smooth, then whisk into the pan. Bring to the boil, stirring, then add the chicken to the sauce.
3. Reduce the heat. Bubble for a few mins until chicken is cooked and the sauce thickened.
4. Meanwhile, cook the noodles and veg together in boiling water for 4 mins, then drain.
5. Toss together the chicken, noodles, veg and spring onions; serve scattered with nuts.
Rice noodles with sundried tomatoes, Parmesan & basil
• 250g medium rice noodles
• 85g sundried tomatoes plus 2 tbsp of their oil
• 3 garlic cloves
• 25g Parmesan
(or vegetarian alternative), shaved or grated large handful basil leaves, torn
1. Prepare the noodles according to pack instructions, then drain.
2. Heat the oil, then fry the tomatoes and garlic for 3 mins.
3. Toss the noodles and most of the cheese and basil into the pan, season, then scatter over the remaining cheese and basil.
• 1 teaspoon oil, canola
• 1/2 cup(s) asparagus cuts, frozen or fresh
• 1/2 cup(s) mushrooms sliced
• 1/3 cup(s) egg substitute
• 1/8 teaspoon parsley, fresh chopped
• 2 slice(s) bread, whole-wheat, thin
• 2 teaspoon margarine with plant sterols such as Take Control or Benecol
1. Heat oil in small saute (fry) pan.
2. Add asparagus and mushrooms; saute over low-medium heat until almost cooked.
3. Add egg substitute and cook until egg is set. Remove from heat.
4. Toast bread and spread with margarine while hot.
5. Place cooked frittata on serving plate and sprinkle with parsley.
BBQ Chicken Pizza
• 2 soft pitas
• 1/4 cup BBQ sauce
• 2 Tablespoons of red onion, chopped
• 1/2 cup of mozzarella cheese, shredded
• 1/2 cup of Tyson’s pre-cooked grilled chicken
1. Microwave your chicken until thawed. Then cut it into small pieces.
2. Next spread your BBQ sauce on both Pitas.
3. Put 1/4 cup of cheese on one pita and the other 1/4 of cheese on the other pita.
4. Add your onions and chicken on both pitas and place on a microwaveable plate.
5. Microwave one pita at a time for about 1 minute or until the cheese is melted.
6. Using a pizza cutter, cut the pita into 4 slices. Serve it Hot!
Asian Beef Steaks and Noodles
• 1/4 cup(s) water
• 3 tablespoon hoisin sauce
• 1 tablespoon vinegar, red wine
• 2 tablespoon oil, vegetable
• 1 medium cucumber(s) peeled, seeded and sliced
• 1/2 small pepper(s), red, bell sliced into strips
• 1/4 cup(s) water chestnuts, canned sliced
• 7 ounce(s) noodles, Chinese broken, cooked
• 4 teaspoon cilantro, fresh leaves
• 8 ounce(s) beef, boneless round steak raw, 1/8″ trim, cut into 1/2″ thick cubes
• 5 whole nuts, peanuts, dry-roasted, unsalted chopped
1. Combine water, hoisin sauce, and vinegar in a small bowl. Heat large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat until hot. Brush skillet with oil. Add cucumber, and bell pepper; stir-fry 1 minute.
2. Stir in noodles, 1/2 cilantro, and 1/2 hoisin mixture. Remove from skillet into a bowl.
3. Heat same skillet over medium-high heat until hot. Place beef steaks in skillet; cook 2 to 4 minutes, turning once. Do not over cook.
4. Add remaining hoisin mixture; turn steaks to coat. Serve with noodles.
5. Sprinkle top with remaining cilantro and peanuts.
Cheap-as-chips veggie pizza
• 200g carton passata
• Pack of 5 large Middle Eastern flatbreads
• ½ x 750g bag frozen spinach, defrosted
• 1 garlic clove, chopped
• 3 balls mozzarella, patted dry and torn
• 5 medium egg
• Freshly grated nutmeg
• Small bunch basil
• Shaved Parmesan
(or vegetarian alternative), to serve
1. Heat the oven to as high as it will go. Spread 1-2 tbsp of passata over each flatbread.
2. Squeeze as much water as you can from the spinach (this will prevent your pizzas from being soggy), then scatter on top, leaving a gap in the centre.
3. Divide the garlic and mozzarella between the pizzas, seasoning generously as you go.
4. You will probably only be able to bake 2 pizzas at a time.
5. Put 2 on a baking tray, carefully crack an egg into the middle of each, and season with nutmeg and some of the basil.
6. Bake for 7 mins until the cheese has melted and the egg is cooked to your liking.
7. Repeat with the remaining pizzas and ingredients. Serve, garnished with a little more basil and some Parmesan. Cut into slices and share between everyone.
Quick Mushroom & Spaghetti (Squash)
• 1 tbsp olive oil
• 1 garlic clove, crushed
• 250g pack mushrooms, sliced
• 1 tsp thyme leaves, chopped
• 200g bag spinach
• 4 tbsp grated Parmesan
• jar tomato sauce
• large spaghetti squash
1. Stab holes into squash with fork.
2. Cut squash in half and scrape out the seeds.
3. Place in microwave for 8 min on each side.
4. Saute spinach and mushrooms in med sauce pan with olive oil and garlic while squash is cooking.
5. Let squash cool 5 min.
6. Scrape out the “spaghetti”, toss in a bowl with mushroom and spinach, add some thyme leaves, cheese.
French onion soup
- 1.2 Litres of beef stock.
- 2 chopped onions
- Bread (typically a baguette)
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp grated cheese
1. Add chopped onions to a pan of butter and cook on a low heat until soft.
2. Increase the heat and cook until the onion becomes sticky and caramelised.
3. Add 1.2 litres of beef stock, season and bring to the boil.
4.Simmer for 10 minutes.
5.Toast some bread (preferably baguette) and drizzle with some olive oil.
6. Sprinkle with grated cheese and place under grill until golden.
7. Serve with toast on top!