Besides being one of the best schools (no bias), Syracuse has a ton of things you probably didn’t know. Here are 10 interesting facts!
1. The School of Information Studies was the first program of its kind
2. The iSchool combines IT (information technology) and business.
There are only nine other universities offering similar programs.
3. The Carrier Dome holds the record for the largest attendance for an on-campus basketball game.
In February 2014, 35,446 SU students and Syracusians crammed into the Dome to watch the Orange take on the Duke Blue Devils.
4. Chancellor Syverud lived in the dorms during his first year.
Kent Syverud, our 12th Chancellor, and his wife lived in BBB in order to really understand student life.
5. The tree outside of the iSchool is called the Tree of 40 Fruits.
This tree was a research project led by a professor and assisted by students. It is genetically modified to produce 40 different stone fruits.
6. SU was the first school to only have one official color.
In 1890, Syracuse University changed their official colors from pea green and rose pink to orange. Other schools with only one official color include Harvard and Kansas State.
7. The tree inside of Schine Student Center is one of two orange trees in the state of New York.
8. Hendricks Chapel is the largest interfaith chapel located on a college campus.
The chapel offers over 20 different services for various denominations. You can also check out People’s Place in the basement and enjoy an Austin Powers or a Coca Cola beverage.
9. Syracuse University has always offered attendance to women.
10. Our Abraham Lincoln has a twin!
The Abraham Lincoln statue located in the grassy area between Maxwell, Eggers, and Tolley has a replicate located in Jersey City, NJ
Do you know any other interesting things about Syracuse!? Share in the comments below!
Featured Image: Pinterest