I grew up around D.C. for 18 years, went to school in Pittsburgh for two years, and even spent some time in Cleveland. Therefore, as a former Northerner, I’m no stranger to cold winters. Now. I live in Florida year-round and it’s safe to say that I have acclimated to warm weather.
I never really appreciated having permanently chapped lips and needing to wear tights under my jeans five months out of the year. Now that I live here, I’m so comfortable that if you asked me to move somewhere where there are four seasons, I’m not convinced I could survive that again. I live where people vacation and I love it!
If, like me, you have become accustomed to warm weather you’ll probably recognize the following 10 signs of this phenomenon.
1. When the temperature dips below 70 degrees, you break out your riding boots and infinity scarf.
In the past, you could tackle 32-degree winds with ease. Now that you’re used to sweltering summers, your body temperature has had to adjust to different extremes.
2. You no longer purchase winter clothing.
“Parkas, what are those?” “I don’t need to buy snow boots. What even is snow?”
3. Your closet consists of an endless array of bikinis, cutoffs, sandals, and sundresses.
I would wear a bikini all day, every day if I could.
4. God-forbid there’s inclement weather.
You can survive a cat-4 hurricane no problem, but the slightest sign of flurries and you unleash your inner Buford Calloway. It hasn’t snowed in Tampa in over 40 years! No one in Florida knows how to drive anyway. When you add poor weather to the equation, it’s a recipe for disaster.
5. 100-degree summers do not phase you. You are a bronzed goddess who thrives in the heat.
While you may not be able to handle snow, you can hit the sand with the best of them. It’s like you were born to be a beach bum.
6. The weather is always so nice that you find any excuse to be outside.
Got a 10-minute break between classes? You’re sunbathing on the quad. Have an hour to kill before yoga? You head to the dog park to watch the sunset along the water. Not enough time to drive to the beach on the weekend? You’re on the roof of the garage soaking in the rays. It’s all about taking advantage of the little things. Once you begin living regularly by this lifestyle, you know you have acclimated to warm weather.
7. As a result of all your outdoor adventures, you have permanent tan lines.
I guarantee you that my skin never looked this good when I lived in Pittsburgh. I didn’t see the sun for two years!
8. You’ve forgotten what it’s like to have to warm up the car before you leave.
That extra 15 minutes you have to sleepin has changed your life.
9. The sunsets are so perfect every day that you try not to take them for granted.
10. If you’re from the North, you can’t imagine going back. If you’re a natural-born Floridian, the mere thought of living anywhere else feels like a betrayal.
Living here truly is “the endless summer.”
Write your signs you have acclimated to warm weather in the comments below!
Featured Image Source: weheartit.com
A MEDIA AND COMMUNICATIONS MAJOR WITH A CONCENTRATION IN WRITING, CATHERINE TRANSFERRED TO THE UNIVERSITY OF TAMPA FROM PITT IN THE FALL OF 2016 AND IS LOVING THE WARM WEATHER AND PALM TREES! SHE LOOKS FORWARD TO TRAVELING AND EXPERIENCING ALL THAT COLLEGE HAS TO OFFER BEFORE GRADUATING in 2018 AND CONTINUING TO WRITE PROFESSIONALLY.