One Tree Hill may be my favorite show of all time. Not only is it filled with dramatic twists and turns, it’s full of relatable advice that will make you question your choices. Watching the OTH cast grow up before your eyes is nothing short of inspiring. They show us all how everyone pushes through the ups and downs even when you feel hopeless. Most importantly, the storyline reminds us just how important it is to hold on tight to your true friends.
1. “There’s a day when you realize that you’re not just a survivor, you’re a warrior. You’re tougher than anything life throws your way.”
This is one of the most important lessons to live by in this show. I wish more than anything that none of you ever feel so broken down that you feel hopeless, but the reality is, life is hard and we all hit our own low points at some point in our lives. It’s so important to remember that it gets better though, and you always come back stronger. Some of my greatest growth has been a result from the moments that I felt absolutely hopeless. Let me tell you, there is no greater feeling of pride in the world than looking back at those times and realizing you were your own hero. You saved your own life.
2. “When you stop fighting, you stop living. We all need that thing that’s worth fighting for. Maybe it’s a certain someone, or a special place, maybe just an idea. So find your fight, and fight like hell, ’til your battle is won.”
There is always a reason to keep fighting. This one is dead on. I personally find strength and hope within my friends, family, and the dreams I have for myself. Whatever your “it” is, that thing that makes you want to keep pushing and fighting for better days, hold on to it. There is always a reason to keep pushing, even if that reason is just for you to look back at this and say “I made it through”.
3. “It’s the oldest story in the world. One day you’re 17 and planning for someday. And then quietly and without you ever really noticing, someday is today. And then someday is yesterday. And this is your life.”
If I could tattoo this quote on my chest, I would. The accuracy that is wrapped up in three sentences blows my mind. Life moves fast. I remember watching this show for the first time in high school with my best friend and thinking, “life doesn’t happen that fast” and now, we are college graduates planning for forever. It really does move that fast, so look around and enjoy it.
4. “Someone once said; ‘It’s the good girls who keep diaries. The bad girls never have the time. Me… I just wanna live a life I’m gonna remember. Even if I don’t write it down.”
Although I think good and bad girls should keep diaries to treasure the moments, this quote is a constant reminder to be present in the moment. I am a picture taker. If I could have a photo of every moment in my life, I would, but lucky for me, I’ve had an extraordinary amount of moments that I have been too present for to even remember to take photos. As much as I wish I had pictures to remember those days, I”ll remember them perfectly in my head forever.
5. “Sometimes my heart aches at how my life turned out… in a good way.”
This is the goal, to have such a full heart about the life you’ve created for yourself that you can’t help but smile. I hope we’ve all lived these moments before, but remember that just because that feeling is fleeting doesn’t mean your life isn’t as amazing as that feeling is. Through the ups and downs, one day you’ll look back on your life and be grateful for all of the moments that got you there.
6. “Life is too short to play games. If you love someone and want to be with them, then go get them. Deal with the mess later. You don’t know what tomorrow will bring.”
This is my favorite quote ever and debatably the most important. As a twenty something in 2020 I feel a ridiculous amount of pressure to “play the games” with friends, and people I am interested in. A lot of times, I find myself feeling conflicted over if I should keep waiting for them to text first or if it’s okay to text them and let them know I’m thinking of them. What I’ve learned from years of fighting that inner battle is that it is always better to tell people when you care. Maybe they won’t always reciprocate but at least they’ll know. Life is too short to pretend you don’t feel the way you do.
7. “It’s hard when you miss people. But you know if you miss them, that means you’re lucky. It means you had someone special in your life, someone worth missing.”
I’ll keep this one short and sweet. Be thankful for the memories and learn to be thankful for people entering and exiting your life. There is always a reason both happen and if they’re meant to be in your life, they will.
8. “I gave you my heart. That’s all that I can give. And if that’s not enough for you, then I’m not enough for you.
Ah, another quote that embodies having a big heart perfectly. If you love hard, you also get hurt hard but anyone who breaks your heart is not meant to have the love you have to offer anyway. Learn to appreciate all the love you have to give and recognize that anyone who expects more, isn’t worth it to begin with.
9. “You think you know me but you don’t. And that means you don’t know what I can do.”
Being underestimated is the biggest motivation. Nobody knows your strength the way you do. So let them assume, let them expect you to fail, and prove them wrong.
10. “You don’t get to have me, not my body, and sure as hell not my heart.”
This one speaks for itself. Don’t give anybody all of you until you know they deserve you but also dont hesitate to reclaim that part of yourself, either. You get to choose who has access to you and are allowed to change that whenever you feel like it. You are the only person who deserves full access to your heart always.
Comment your favorite One Tree Hill Quote below. Are you team Brooke and Haley or Team Payton and Brooke? Let me know below.
Jenna Summer is twenty-something spending her days exploring New York City and chasing her dreams. As a recent graduate from The American Musical & Dramatic Academy, Jenna has been spending her time in the city itching to perform. She has performed Stand Up Comedy at many comedy clubs around the city as well as performing in sketch shows and cabarets with Upright Citizens Brigade and Others. During her time in school, she also fell in love with writing. Her goal is to be able to use her voice to inspire, entertain, and make people laugh.