There are plenty of quotes about NYC, what’s not to love? Keep reading for 20 famous New York City quotes!
1. “The city seen from the Queensboro Bridge is always the city seen for the first time, in its wild promise of all the mystery and beauty in the world.” – F. Scott Fitzgerald
2. “There is something in the New York air that makes sleep useless.” – Simone de Beauvoir
3. “New York has a thousand universes in it that don’t always connect but we do all walk the same streets, hear the same sirens, ride the same subways, see the same headlines in the Post, read the same writings on the walls. That shared landscape gets inside of all of us and, in some small way, unites us, makes us think we know each other even when we don’t.” – Jay Z
4. “If you want to become a real New Yorker, there’s only one rule: You have to believe New York is, has been, and always will be the greatest city on earth. The center of the universe.” – Ellen R. Shapiro
5. “One belongs to New York instantly, one belongs to it as much in five minutes as in five years.” – Thomas Wolfe
6. “Make your mark in New York and you are a made man.” – Mark Twain
7. “As only New Yorkers know, if you can get through the twilight, you’ll live through the night.” – Dorothy Parker
8. “More than anything else New York is a city of superlatives, a place where the best, the brightest, the biggest is the norm.” – Marilyn J. Appleberg
9. “As for New York City, it is a place apart. There is not its match in any other country in the world.” – Pearl S. Buck
10. “New York is made up of millions of different people, and they all come here looking for something.” – Lindsey Kelk
11. “I would give the greatest sunset in the world for one sight of New York’s skyline.” – Ayn Rand
12. “I get out of the taxi and it’s probably the only city which in reality looks better than on the postcards, New York.” – Milos Forman
13. “The skyline of New York is a monument of a splendor that no pyramids or palaces will ever equal or approach.” – Ayn Rand
14. “One can’t paint New York as it is, but rather as it is felt.” – Georgia O’Keefe
15. “I love that about New York: You just dress the way you want to dress and feel really comfortable because nobody is judging. You can just be yourself, and it’s perfectly normal.” – Henrik Lundquist
16. “I look out the window and I see the lights and the skyline and the people on the street rushing around looking for action, love, and the world’s greatest chocolate chip cookie, and my heart does a little dance.” – Nora Ephron
17. “In New York the sky is bluer, and the grass is greener, and the girls are prettier, and the steaks are thicker, and the buildings are higher, and the streets are wider, and the air is finer, than the sky, or the grass, or the girls, or the steaks, or the air of any place else in the world.” – Edna Ferber
18. “New York is an ugly city, a dirty city. Its climate is a scandal, its politics are used to frighten children, its traffic is madness, its competition is murderous. But there is one thing about it: Once you have lived in New York and it has become your home, no place else is good enough.” – John Steinbeck
19. “There is no place like it, no place with an atom of its glory, pride, and exultancy.” – Walt Whitman
20. “This is the city of dreamers and time and again it’s the place where the greatest dream of all, the American dream, has been tested and has triumphed.” – Michael Bloomberg
What are some other famous New York City quotes? Comment below and share this article with friends!
Featured Image Source: , awaxman.
Comments, Questions & Rants