Despite all the fame and success Robert Downey Jr. has accomplished it’s his intact humility that proves to us that there will only ever be one “Iron Man”.
1. “Do I want to be a hero to my son? No. I would like to be a very real human being.”
It’s not all about wearing capes and saving the day… In this response the father of three shoots down the idea of being apart of a specific social class; instead highlighting the value in seeing ourselves as fundamentally of what we are.
2. “Listen, smile, agree, and do whatever the f*** you were gonna do anyways.”
No one said you shouldn’t be sure of yourself. However, if there’s anything else we can take from these words its that you can always allow another person the chance to have their say before jumping to conclusions.
3. “Worrying is like praying for something that you don’t want to happen.”
We can never truly predict what will happen in the future. Here, the actor highlights the ineffectiveness of reacting emotionally to situations alike; perhaps hinting us to be more proactive in the face of uncertainty.
4. “I know very little about acting. I’m just an incredibly gifted faker.”
Rather than wearing his title on his chest, Robert Downey Jr. seemingly prefers to identify himself by his strengths. In all, it’s a clever way to remind yourself of the craft in which got you to where you are (and possibly in what will continue taking you forward…)
5. “You need to know what to do when the sun is not shining.”
As put by the Forbes list leader, knowing who you are and what you do isn’t just some nine-to-five job. When committing to something, you have to be ready to face hinders in the process – and don’t let those discourage you!
6. “It’s not that hard to be good, you just have to do it a lot.”
Sometimes it’s the little things that matter, and the amazing message we can all take from this RDJ quote is that doing good should be a habit, never a task.
7. “I’m not weird. I’m adorably eccentric.”
As given in this quote, one of the biggest encouragements we can give ourselves is to be happy for who we are. More often than not the biggest enemy in life can turn out to be ourselves. Robert Downey Jr. shows us that no matter what you can always choose to see yourself in a more positive light.
8. “I am kind of an evil scientist, except I’m not evil… or a scientist.”
Why put a limit on your potential when there are no limits? From playing an oddball 19th Century detective to an Earth-defending Avenger, RDJ has shown what it means to think extreme and take up roles seen as possibly beyond your own abilities at the time – something we feel this testimony sums up perfectly.
9. “The lesson is that you can still make mistakes and be forgiven.”
Having his success cut short in his early acting career in a period of substance abuse and legal troubles, Robert Downey Jr. is a prime example of what it means to fail before reaching super success. In this quote, we learn that as bad as our mistake may be we can always pick up from where we left off and do it right the next time around.
10. “I think that we all do heroic things, but hero is not a noun, it’s a verb.”
In the grand scheme of things it isn’t about how we might look that determines self-worth- as in these words Robert Downey Jr. reminds us that it’s what we “do” that ultimately shapes who we become and how we’re remembered.