So you just got admission to the Minnesota State University Mankato, congratulations!! You are officially a Maverick. If you are anything like me, you probably already have an idea of what you want your college life to be all about, gosh the new experiences, the cute boys, the pretty girls… your mind can’t contain it all. But before you get carried away with all the excitement, here are 50 lifesaving hacks I wish I knew as an incoming freshman at MSU Mankato!
1. Do not room with your BFF/ someone you know from home.
I know, I know you are probably rolling your eyes but think of it, this is college you want the experience right so take a chance, get out of your comfort zone. You could definitely room with them in sophomore year, but for now, keep freshman year for someone unexpected. Who knows you could make a BFF for life
2. Plan your class schedules carefully.
Freshman year is very hectic, plan your schedules in such a way that you have time to yourself in between classes. Trust me it helps.
3. Take classes in different disciplines.
Some of you already have your major down but it doesn’t hurt to check out what’s out there. I know I personally regret not doing this.
4. Walk, Walk, Walk.
Guys freshman 15 is real or in my case freshman 30. Anyway walking to classes, avoiding elevators is one way to avoid putting on extra pounds.
5. Live on Campus during freshman year.
I don’t need to explain this one, you make more friends in the dorms
6. Attend floor activities.
you are going to be living with these people for 1 year so might as well get to know them.
7. Explore campus before classes begin.
Especially for those having classes in Trafton, it’s a maze.
8. Make one friend in every class that way you can miss class and still be up to date
9. Join a club or organization and get involved
10. Attend school activities.
Thursday karaoke night, stomper movie night all free to students
11. Take your Mavcard with you every time you leave the dorm.
You will need it to get back into the dorms, the dining hall
12. Take advantage of the diversity MSU Mankato has to offer and get to learn about another culture.
Especially if you are thinking of doing study abroad
13. Get plenty of sleep before morning classes.
14. Coffee is your best friend for those 8 am classes!
15. Study Hard.
This is your year to get 4.0, as you move up, things get harder
16. Get your professors to notice you.
You could do this by getting to class early and answering questions. it comes in handy when you need academic references.
17. Buy textbooks from fellow students
18. Check Amazon or the maverick store if you have to buy textbooks.
You could save a few dollars rather than buying from the Barnes and Noble on campus.
19. Your Mavcard gets you discounts.
So take them with you when you go shopping, don’t be afraid to ask the stores
20. Know the shortcuts.
CSU- Morris Hall- Armstrong Hall etc winter is coming
21. Do not buy textbooks until you have seen the class syllabus.
22. Chet’s and Grill 155 are open until midnight for late-night munchies.
23. Invest in coats and boots, the winters here are no joke.
24. Check your mavmails and D2Ls constantly.
25. Take advantage of school resources, you are paying for them (Otto rec center, counseling center, Zumba )
26. Rate my professor.com is your friend especially during registration period
27. Yes! You can leave a class without interrupting/ asking for permission
28. McElroy and Crawford is the farthest dorm from all classes
29. Do not be so eager to get into relationships at this stage, if it does not happen to relax
30. Learn the routes of the campus buses
31. Do not leave your laundry in the washer unattended
32. Do not get the Anytime meal plan, it’s a waste of money.
33. Don’t miss the fairs.
A lot of free stuff are given away during these events
34. Don’t forget to study! study!
35. Try not to procrastinate
36. Hey, you! Yes, you! Put down the fries
37. Go out and have a fun
38. Wait to get school gears during breaks.
There are a lot of discounts at this time
39. Come in ready for the experience, no expectations
40. If you are shy or not sure how to meet people, just leave your dorm door open trust me people will drop by
41. Get to know your CAs, you will need them especially if you plan on being one yourself.
42. It’s okay to feel homesick
43. Call home as often as possible
44. Ask questions of you are confused, we’ve all been there,
45. 8-hour sleep is very important
46. Thinking of rushing? Do it
47. Don’t get discouraged if you flop your first test, you are still adjusting
48. Take time for yourself
49, Do not write off anything until you have tried it at least once.
50. Try to relax and enjoy the next four years of your life
Do you have any other life saving tips for freshman at MSU Mankato!? Share in the comments below!
Featured Image: weheartit