Fully aware that blogging is of a genuine essence, I admit my freshman year at the University of British Columbia did not go exactly as anticipated. It goes without saying that such a large change needs to be reinforced with comfort and success in order for one to believe the transition was beneficial. I started feeling that my efforts were futile all too soon, which ultimately led me down a rocky freshman year road. In hindsight, I realize this past year was a growing experience that definitely taught me to carry some grit and a Xanax or two (kidding). I can safely acknowledge that this uphill battle is not over, but all UBC students – old and new – can relate to the following 21 signs you go to UBC.
1. UBC was probably somewhere at the top of your college list.
If not your first choice.
2. You get your steps in.
Walking 28,756 miles from class to class under what is usually a torrential downpour is your year-round workout regimen.
3. You live in the rain.
The rain, cloud cover, and overall subpar weather have left you so pale, you sometimes question your own existence.
4. The sun is a beautiful rarity.
If the rain clears and the sun is out, there WILL be an overwhelming amount of Snapchat stories.
5. There are clubs for everything.
If you’re really freakishly into monkey karate, odds are there’s a club for that.
6. Domino’s isn’t even low key your meal plan; it high key is.
Vending machines are a close second.
7. You always have an escape.
Any time you need to escape, you migrate from your beautiful school to your even more beautiful city.
8. You get into a full fledged fight with Connect, the SSC, or your WiFi at least twice a week.
9. You know how Instagram worthy campus is.
You have either Instagrammed the Rose Garden, the Nitobe Garden, or the Clock Tower (if not all three, which is most likely).
10. You appreciate the change of seasons.
You’ve probably also posted the orange hue trees in the fall and the cherry blossoms in the spring.
11. It’s safe to say many UBC kids do most things, “for the Gram”!
12. You know the diversity.
If you ever find yourself in a photo where everyone is of the same race, you most likely don’t even go here.
13. Your finals schedule time is crucial.
If you get caught on the later end of the finals schedule, it can feel like your friends left you behind light years ago.
14. You have IKB Library on speed dial.
Because you know it will never fail you in times of need.
15. On any given holiday, more than half of your friends are probably in very different time zones and violently jetlagged.
16. The 99 bus line is simultaneously your best friend and your worst nightmare.
17. You don’t pay outrageous US tuition.
But there’s a 99.9% chance you still feel poor.
18. You probably thought attending a huge school would automatically give you a million friends.
Which in turn makes you more appreciative of the few quality ones you initially make.