You Know You Are From A Small Town In Eastern Washington If…
1. You’re very proud of your home state
You don’t like people assuming you’re from Oregon or Idaho. Why the defiance? Not sure, but you’re from Washington!
2. Everyone you went to high school with went to Washington State University
Maybe not everyone, but the majority. The state is pretty divided on this one, so you keep your opinions to yourself unless you’re an intense fan or in you’re in cougar country.
3. Watching for deer and/or cougars is normal
Spotting wildlife isn’t uncommon. Usually you hear about cougar sightings and the consequential school lock downs on the news. You know to watch for deer when driving, especially at night.
4. People think you’re a farmer
Yes, maybe you know some farmers. That doesn’t mean everyone in the PNW owns a farm or enjoys outdoorsy activities.
5. People think you’re from Seattle
Another common question that you have to awkwardly say no to. When you say where you’re from, you’re met with either a blank stare or they ask if you know their cousin’s friend’s uncle who used to teach there.
6. You have to explain yourself on airplanes, trains, buses…
You hesitate when a fellow passenger asks where you’re from. Strangers automatically assume you’re from Washington D.C. and not Washington state.
7. You enjoy quality alcoholic beverages
You like craft beers at local restaurants that you can brag to your friends about. You’re always looking for a good spot to order unique beers on tap.
8. You consider the other side of the state to be another world
You can’t drive in this traffic without three people in the car helping you. Also, where are everyone’s turn signals?
9. You like clear skies and rain
You enjoy rainy days and the gloominess that comes with them because they aren’t a frequent occurrence.
10. You like good coffee
You will search for the perfect, local coffee spot endlessly. Once you find it you won’t need to branch out to anywhere else.