Whether you realise it or not, you owe your father a lot. If he was the omnipresent guide who taught you all you know then it’s obvious what he did for you. Or, if he was the abusive arsehole who you blame for the majority of your defects, you should thank him for the biting sarcasm that’s been pivotal in helping you alienate all the people around you.
Whatever your dad was like, you shouldn’t forget the profound effect that fatherhood has on a person. This list of Father’s Day quotes is a tableau of wisdom from fathers throughout time, offering up a wide range of advice, commentary and witticisms that help us understand one of the most important aspects of our very being. Share these Father’s Day quotes with your dad, and see what he makes of them.
He should be grateful for you really.
1) I love every minute of fatherhood, staying up all night, changing nappies, kids crying, I find it really funny and inspiring. It connects you to the world in a new way. – Elton John
2) If I were to compare the Olympic decathlon to fatherhood, I would say fatherhood is a lot tougher. – Caitlyn Jenner
3) Anyone who tells you fatherhood is the greatest thing that can happen to you, they are understating it. – Mike Myers
4) Having children is a lot like living in a frat house: nobody sleeps, everything’s broken and there’s a lot of throwing up. – Ray Romano
The things you’ll teach, and the things you’ll learn
5) Every father should remember one day his son will follow his example, not his advice. – Charles Kettering
6) The father who does not teach his son his duties is equally guilty with the son who neglects them. –Confucius
7) When you’re a dad, there’s no one above you. If I don’t do something that has to be done, who is going to do it? –Jonathan Safran Foer
8) He didn’t tell me how to live; he lived, and let me watch him do it. – Clarence Budington Kelland
9) The fundamental defect with fathers is that they want their children to be a credit to them. – Bertrand Russell
10) I have found the very best way to advise your children is to find out what they want to do and advise them to do it. – Harry Truman
11) I was selfish before. Everyone is. But when you have kids, they become your main priority. – David Beckham
12) Any fool can have a child. That doesn’t make you a father. It’s the courage to raise a child that makes you a father. – Barack Obama
The light-hearted response to the most important role
13) My father had a profound influence on me. He was a lunatic. – Spike Milligan
14) Remember: What dad really wants is a nap. Really. – Dave Barry
15) When you’re young, you think your dad is Superman. Then you grow up, and you realise he’s just a regular guy who wears a cape. – Dave Attell
We can only learn by listening to the wisdom from those who came before us. Be grateful that you had the father you did; he’s responsible for your very lifeforce and for who you are today. Show him some appreciation this Father’s Day.