You’re leaving India and coming to America. There are so many thoughts and expectations running through your mind. If you’re on this journey or have already been through it, you’ll definitely be able to relate to these 20 signs you’re an Indian moving to America!
1. Experiencing actual seasons for the first time makes your heart sing.
2. A questionably large portion of your luggage consisted of jars full of pickles.
3. You had to hire a bus to the airport because your entire extended family wanted to see you off.
4. You get annoyingly excited every time someone says, “Chipotle”.
5. Unless you’re going to Harvard no one in your family actually knows what college you’re going to. They just know you’re studying “abroad”.
6. You get boycotted in public for putting the milk in your cereal first. PS: It tastes better that way.
7. People smiling at you while you walk on the streets really takes you back because in India eye contact either indicates flirting or severe judgment from middle aged housewives.
8. You can never keep up with the long Starbucks orders.
9. People assume you’ve seen Slumdog Millionaire. Wait you haven’t? But aren’t you Indian?
10. You carry a bottle of hot sauce around because you can’t shake that constant craving for spicy food.
11. You’re a pro at multiplying numbers by 65. Or whatever the dollar to rupee conversion rate is.
12. You’re always afraid people expect you to do the Indian head bob that Russell Peters made so popular.
13. Bollywood has ruined your credibility at parties because people assume you dance all the time and are hence good at it.
14. It’s nearly impossible to find a meal/snack without cheese in it. Not complaining though. Cheez its are delicious.
15. You’re positively overwhelmed by options in everything from chewing gum to breakfast cereal to cough medicine.