When you think of fast food, the first things you probably think of are burgers, fries, and milk shakes. That being said, “vegan” normally isn’t among the list of things that remind you of any fast food chain. But believe it or not, most fast food chains actually have several vegan-friendly options (some still do not). If you’re eating vegan out of health consciousness or for a love of animals, here’s a short list of the best vegan fast food items that are available at some of the largest fast food chains.
1. Burger King
Burger King might, surprisingly, be the most vegan friendly fast food joint of all the major ones.
- Hash brown rounds (delicious fried circles of potato, but it is possible that they may share a fryer with foods that are not vegan)
- Oatmeal (if you ask for it to be cooked with water)
- Fries (again, potatoes rule the day)
- Dutch apple pie (this one is surprising, but true!)
- French toast sticks (this is a blessing in disguise; no more need to deprive our vegan friends of such delicious breakfast items!)
Wendy’s has some of the best vegan fast food options, and some of them may come as a surprise. Of course, some of them overlap with previously mentioned foods!
- Baked potato (just cut out the butter and sour cream)
- Veggie sandwich (apparently, you can order this- which is all the veggies that come on the burger, but without the patty itself!)
- Asian cashew salad (you’ll have to ask for no chicken, since the original has “chicken” in the title)
- Fries (potatoes are superior)
3. Taco Bell
As you can imagine, the options here are limited. There are two core items that are vegan friendly as they are, but most everything on their menu has beef, chicken or steak in it. Not to mention pretty much all their food contains cheese and sour cream. If you really want to eat vegan here, just order without the meat and cheese and add extra beans and rice instead!
- Chips (with salsa, of course)
- Cinnamon twists (crispy spirals of deliciousness)
This one is also pretty limited, but it does have some similar options as Burger King!
- French toast sticks
- Curly fries
- Potato cakes (this one just sounds cute enough to eat)
Look, I’m not going to say it’s not possible (it is, barely) but why would you even want to try the world’s biggest fried chicken joint if you’re looking for the best vegan fast food? Nonetheless they have some sides you can order if you just really want to stop here…
- Corn on the cob
- House salad
- Green beans
This one comes as a shock to no one. Subway has been heralded as one of the most healthy fast food places around. The good thing about this restaurant is that you can put whatever you want on your sandwich from the get-go; you don’t have to ask to take things off. They have a lot of vegan friendly options.
- Red onions
- Shredded lettuce
You can also have almost all of their condiment options like mustard, ketchup, Italian dressing, vinegar, and oil, just don’t order mayo (obviously).
Hallelujah. Starbucks has a few options you can get on a vegan diet.
- Most coffee (just ask for almond milk or no milk)
- Fruit and nut packets (depending on your location)
No matter the reasons for your eating vegan, there are plenty options out there for you. You just have to be willing to change around orders and pay extra attention to what’s on the menu!
What’s the best vegan fast food you’ve found? Let us know int he comments below!
My name is Kassidy Barber, I'm 20 years old, and I'm currently working on my B.A. in English with a minor in web communications at the University of Alabama in Huntsville! I love video games, lots of T.V. shows, dogs, and especially food (both cooking and eating)!