Carrie Bradshaw is an icon. I watched Sex And The City series in my second year of uni, and it provided perfect real world advice. I love Carrie, she’s a fashion icon. She’s a writer from a small town just trying to make it the big city, and I could relate to her.
Here’s some advice from her you need to hear:
1. ‘The most exciting, challenging and significant relationship of all is the one you have with yourself. And if you find someone to love the you that you love, well, that’s just fabulous.’
This is the moral of Sex And The City. Sometimes we get so caught up in wanting to have romantic relationships, and we put all our focus into them that we forget about our self. When in order to love anyone else, we must learn to love our self first.
2. ‘Maybe the past is like an anchor, holding us back. Maybe you have to let go of who you were to become who you will be.’
Sometimes we get caught up in the past and regret decisions we made and things we said. There’s nothing we can do about it so we should learn to let go of our past so we’ll be able to let our future grow into our truest potential.
3. ‘As we drive along this road called life, occasionally a gal will find herself a little lost. And when that happens, I guess she has to let go of the coulda, shoulda, woulda, buckle up and just keep going.’
I’m constantly thinking of the ‘coulda, woulda, shoulda.’ And it’s so hard to let go of it. I need to adapt my mindset because it’s no use wasting time thinking about it because I can’t go back and change the past. I need to learn to buckle up for the ride and just keep moving forward.
4. ‘Maybe our girlfriends are our soulmates and guys are just people to have fun with.’
This is the true message of Sex And The City and is a great way to look at relationships. Guys come and go, but friends usually stick around for a long time and are always there for us to fall back on and to have a laugh with. It’s so important to foster friendships.
5. ‘Life gives you lots of chances to screw up which means you have just as many chances to get it right.’
When I screw up, I often think it’s the end of the world. I think we all do. It’s only when we look back that we realise it wasn’t that big of a deal. It’s a more positive mindset if we believe that for every mistake we make, there’s a chance to make it right.
6. ‘Sometimes we need to stop analyzing the past, stop planning the future, stop figuring out precisely how we feel, stop deciding exactly what we want, and just see what happens.’
I get so caught up in planning my future that I forget to live in the present and appreciate [moments]. I also get caught up in overthinking moments of my past. Sometimes it’s best to take a deep breath, stop overthinking everything and let everything work itself out.
7. ‘Eventually all the pieces fall into place. Until then, laugh at the confusion, live for the moment, and know that everything happens for a reason.’
When everything seems like a disaster and lit feels like nothing is going to work out, take a step back and have a laugh and relax, and trust that things will fall into place.
8. ‘Maybe the best any of us can do is not to quit, play the hand we’ve been given, and accessorize the outfit we got.’
I love this quote – something good to make the most of what you’ve got, work hard at it, and you will eventually get to exactly where you need to be.
9. ‘And finally, the most important break up rule: no matter who broke your heart, or how long it takes to heal, you’ll never go through it without your friends.’
In Sex and The City, the girls go through a lot of relationships, but they always have each other to share the joys and the break-ups, and they always have each other’s backs. Boyfriends come and go, but your friends always stick around.
10. ‘They say nothing lasts forever; dreams change, trends come and go, but friendships never go out of style.’
This is a recurring theme in Sex and The City and these quotes, throughout the seasons, Carrie goes through a number of relationships, but she maintains a strong friendship with Samantha, Miranda, and Charlotte all throughout. If you have great friends, you can get through anything.
What’s your favourite Carrie Bradshaw quote I’ve included? And what’s your favourite Carrie Bradshaw quote I haven’t included? What have you learnt from the other characters on Sex And The City?
Cover Image Source: https://www.pinterest.com.au/pin/151855818657218090/
Julie is currently studying s Bachelor of Arts (Professional and Creative Writing) at Deakin University in Australia. She's a hardcover book and journal collector, she owns way too many planners, and she keeps telling herself that one day she will go to Paris.