Alright, for those of you who have been living under a rock, there’s a new viral meme (?) about storming Area 51.
It all started back on June 27th, where a university student created a Facebook event titled, “Storm Area 51, They Can’t Stop All of Us”. As of last week, the event had 1.5 million people to “attend”, and 1.1 million “interested”. Celebrities, like Lil Nas X (bless his soul), put fuel to the fire by tweeting memes and giving the event so much attention that even the U.S. Air Force had to tweet about it. The page explains the plan to meet up at Area 51 and explains that “if we naruto run, we can move faster than their bullets”.
Now, we know what you’re thinking. This is ridiculous. But so ridiculous that it’s hilarious? Absolutely. There’s nothing better than razzing old white guys, and that’s exactly what this event is doing. So to catch you up to speed, here are 10 Area 51 memes that are seriously funny.
1. This too accurate meme about our personal FBI agent:
A throwback to FBI agent memes but also extremely accurate to the number of screenshots we just made for this article…
2. This meme that definitely describes half of the responses to finding out aliens are real (because, let’s be real, so many people would date the aliens):
And the gf would be pretty, but aliens must be just too cool to have gone public through our satellites. They’re too good for us.
3. This too true meme about talking to your mom (slightly) jokingly about the meme and getting an hour-long lecture:
Everybody makes mistakes, but this was a big one. Maybe you shouldn’t be trusted with the fate of the alien race.
4. This painfully true meme if you actually told your mom about the Area 51 raid and she told you that it was a dumb idea:
Rookie move. You need to tell your mom after the fact, when you bring home an alien and some cool tech. She can’t be mad at you when you offer the ability to shoot out of a high tech nerf gun.
5. This meme, which is pretty realistic and hilarious:
Really though, can you imagine having actual, serious meetings about this ridiculous mess? And how to actually deal with it? Because we kind of feel bad for those dudes. They’re probably saying, “I hate millennials/gen z” which is totally fair in this case.
6. This meme, which is a show of solidarity between a lot of dumb people (which we are definitely apart of):
There’s a lot of layers to this meme, considering everyone who’s contributing, but all are definitely attending the Area 51 raid.
7. This big yikes of a meme that is probably really true and should not, by any means, be tested (we’re looking at you guys):
Listen, is this going to turn out bad? Probably. Will it be really funny until that happens? Absolutely. Plus, if this event brings time travellers over, we’d really like to hitch a ride to a different century. It’s a win-win for everyone.
8. This pretty relatable meme:
We personally think there’s a picture somewhere of us in this exact position which is weird but also makes this a whole lot funnier. Plus, having 1.5 million people as your ride? You’re guaranteed to get a pretty good car so shoutout to the aliens.
9. This meme, that encaptures exactly the hubris that every millennial and gen z has, which is ridiculous in its own right and absurd when you realize there’ll be 1.5 million of us:
We’re all too confident for our own good. That, or we just really don’t care at all. Probably both.
10. This snapchat, which is not a meme, but deserves to be on this list because of its merit alone, disregarding how funny it is:
Although not technically a meme, this snapchat is an actual snapchat from Jeff Goldblum, who approves of the raid. If you need any more affirmation, we don’t know what to tell you.