Freshman orientation is a flood of emotions. You’re excited because this is the first real step to the beginning of your college career at UD, but that also terrifies you. Here are 10 things I wish I knew before orientation at University of Delaware that may help ease your stress!
1. Wear comfortable shoes.
You will be walking a lot.
2. Wear an outfit that will be good for a first impression.
You’ll be meeting tons of new people, classmates, professors, and upperclassmen.
3. There is free parking and free lunch.
Free parking is only at the Trabant and lunch is there too. Also, don’t forget to pick up your free t-shirts at the various bookstores. I ended up going home with 3 t-shirts.
4. Be as open to new people as possible.
Everyone feels the same way as you. Uncomfortable and awkward. Some people are from Delaware where others are from California.
5. Your parents have their own lectures and are separated from you at the start and meet up with you at the end.
This allows you to have freedom without your parents next to you the whole time.
6. You get your UDID card.
This could happen at any time during your day. If you cared like I did, you’ll want to freshen up in the bathroom before hand. This will be your ID card for the next 4 years.
7. Make sure you have completed the math placement exam before orientation.
There is a specific due date. Make sure you do it.
8. Bring your license.
This is all you’ll need but it makes it easier getting your ID card.
9. If you can try to meet up with your roommate.
This will be a great time to meet up.
10. Be super excited to become a Blue Hen!
Do you have any other tips for freshman going to orientation at UD!? Share in the comments below!