There gets to a point where pop tarts and ramen noodles become an unexpectable daily combo. As an adult we all must learn to cook at some point, so why not today! Here are 10 foods to learn to make as an adult.
1. Chicken Parmesan
A classic dinner choice for many. It doesn’t matter if you are making it for yourself or for your family and friends it’s an amazing meal that pleases all! Attached below are the directions on how to make chicken parmesan like an adult! If you want more details on the ingredients and the recipe check out the website!
- Preheat oven to 400º.
- Make chicken: Prepare breading station with three large mixing bowls: one bowl with panko, garlic powder, and Parmesan mixed with a fork; another with the egg mixture; and the third bowl with flour.
- Season chicken with salt and pepper, then coat each piece of chicken in flour and shake off excess.
- Dip chicken into egg mixture and then into bread crumb mixture; repeat steps for remaining chicken and set aside on a plate.
- In a deep cast-iron skillet over medium-high heat, add 1/4″ oil.
- When the pan is hot but not smoking, add chicken. Cook until golden brown, 5 to 7 minutes, flipping halfway through.
- Transfer to a paper towel-lined plate to drain.
- Meanwhile, make marinara: In a medium pot over medium heat, heat oil.
- Add onion and garlic and cook until soft, 4 minutes.
- Add in tomatoes and water, season with salt, pepper, and red pepper flakes, and let simmer, 10 minutes.
- Remove from heat and stir in parsley.
- Pour sauce into a 9″-x-13″ baking dish and place chicken in sauce. Top with mozzarella and bake until cheese is melty, 10 to 12 minutes.
- If desired, broil until cheese is golden, 3 minutes.
- Garnish with parsley and serve immediately.
Chili is the perfect cozy adult meal. This is great all year round but especially during the holidays. It’s perfect to pair this delicious meal with a movie night! Attached below are the directions on how to make chili like an adult! If you want more details on the ingredients and the recipe check out the website!
- Cook first 4 ingredients in a large skillet over medium-high heat, stirring until beef crumbles and is no longer pink; drain. Place mixture in 5-quart slow cooker; stir in beans and remaining ingredients. Cook at HIGH 3 to 4 hours or at LOW 5 to 6 hours.
- Notes: If you want to thicken this saucy chili, stir in finely crushed saltine crackers until the desired thickness is achieved.
This is a great meal to make for that special someone of yours. They will surely be impressed with your cooking skills when you make this one! What’s even better, you can guarantee there will be leftovers. Yum! Attached below are the directions on how to make lasagna like an adult! If you want more details on the ingredients and the recipe check out the website!
Once you have prepared the meat sauce and cheeses, you’re ready to layer. This is the order of layers:
- sauce – noodles – cheese
- sauce – noodles – cheese
- noodles – (bake) – cheese
- Spread about a cup of meat sauce into a 9×13 pan. Add a layer of noodles.
- Top the noodles with some of the cheese mixtures.
- Repeat the layers, ending with a layer of noodles
- Cover with foil and bake.
- Remove foil, top with mozzarella and parmesan, and bake another 15 minutes
- Layer, cover it tightly in foil to retain the moisture.
- Once cooked, remove the foil, top with cheese, and return to the oven for another 15 minutes, or until the top is browned and your easy lasagna is bubbling.
4. Meat Loaf
Meatloaf is an all-over great meal. Definitely known as the “family meal” but it’s worth every bite of it! Attached below are the directions on how to make meatloaf like an adult! If you want more details on the ingredients and the recipe check out the website!
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
- In a large bowl, combine the beef, egg, onion, milk, and bread OR cracker crumbs. Season with salt and pepper to taste and place in a lightly greased 9×5-inch loaf pan, or form into a loaf and place in a lightly greased 9×13-inch baking dish.
- In a separate small bowl, combine the brown sugar, mustard, and ketchup. Mix well and pour over the meatloaf.
- Bake at 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) for 1 hour.
5. Chicken Noodle Soup
Chicken noodle soup is one of those meals that are a must on your adulting food lists! It’s great for warming up the soul, but also for those sick seasons where you need a little bit of some extra loving. Attached below are the directions on how to make chicken noodle soup like an adult! If you want more details on the ingredients and the recipe check out the website!
- In a large pot over medium heat, melt butter.
- Cook onion and celery in butter until just tender, 5 minutes.
- Pour in chicken and vegetable broths and stir in chicken, noodles, carrots, basil, oregano, salt, and pepper.
- Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer 20 minutes before serving.
6. Baked Mac N’ Cheese
Mmm, mmm, mmm! Baked mac n’ cheese is a classic! Prepare this for any family gathering and you will be the talk of the show! Attached below are the directions on how to make baked mac n’ cheese like an adult! If you want more details on the ingredients and the recipe check out the website!
- Preheat oven to 350F. Lightly grease a large 3 qt or 4 qt baking dish and set aside. Combine shredded cheeses in a large bowl and set aside.
- Cook the pasta one minute shy of al dente according to the package instructions. Remove from heat, drain, and place in a large bowl.
- Drizzle pasta with olive oil and stir to coat pasta. Set aside to cool while preparing cheese sauce.
- Melt butter in a deep saucepan, dutch oven, or stockpot.
- Whisk in flour over medium heat and continue whisking for about 1 minute until bubbly and golden.
- Gradually whisk in the milk and heavy cream until nice and smooth. Continue whisking until you see bubbles on the surface and then continue cooking and whisking for another 2 minutes. Whisk in salt and pepper.
- Add two cups of shredded cheese and whisk until smooth. Add another two cups of shredded cheese and continue whisking until creamy and smooth. The sauce should be nice and thick.
- Stir in the cooled pasta until combined and pasta is fully coated with the cheese sauce.
- Pour half of the mac and cheese into the prepared baking dish. Top with remaining 2 cups of shredded cheese and then the remaining mac and cheese.
7. Shrimp Fried Rice
If you are looking for a meal that is easy to make but tastes absolutely delicious, this is the one! Attached below are the directions on how to make shrimp fried rice like an adult! If you want more details on the ingredients and the recipe check out the website!
- To a large non-stick skillet or wok, add the oils, shrimp, and cook over medium-high heat for about 3 minutes, flipping halfway through. Cooking time will vary based on the size of shrimp, don’t overcook. Remove shrimp with a slotted spoon (allow oils and cooking juices to remain in the skillet) and place shrimp on a plate; set aside.
- Add the peas, carrots, corn, and cook for about 2 minutes, or until vegetables begin to soften, stir intermittently.
- Add the garlic, ginger, and cook for 1 minute, stir intermittently.
- Push vegetables to one side of the skillet, add the eggs to the other side, and cook to scramble, stirring as necessary.
- Add the shrimp, rice, green onions, evenly drizzle with soy sauce, evenly season with salt and pepper, and stir to combine. Cook for about 2 minutes, or until shrimp is reheated through. The recipe is best warm and fresh but will keep airtight in the fridge for up to 5 days or in the freezer for up to 4 months. Reheat gently as desired
Omelets are known as the “fancier” egg meal. It may seem a bit more technical but it’s made with ease! Enjoy this filling omelet creation! Attached below are the directions on how to make an omelet like an adult! If you want more details on the ingredients and the recipe check out the website!
- In a medium bowl, beat eggs until no whites remain, then season with salt, pepper, and a pinch of red pepper flakes.
- In a medium non-stick skillet over medium heat, melt butter. Pour in eggs and tilt the pan so eggs fully cover the entire pan. As eggs start to set, use a rubber spatula to drag cooked edges into the center of the pan. Tilt the pan to let the uncooked egg fall to the edge of the pan.
- Once the bottom is set, but the top is still a little wet, sprinkle cheese, and chives on one half of the omelet. Fold another side over the cheese and slide the omelet onto a plate.
9. Chocolate Chip Cookies
If you like chocolate chip cookies as much as us, then this will be your favorite adult meal to make. These cookies are great for any time of the year and no ever truly turns down a chocolate chip cookie! Attached below are the directions on how to make chocolate chip cookies like an adult! If you want more details on the ingredients and the recipe check out the website!
- Position 2 racks in the center of the oven, and preheat to 375 degrees F. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment.
- Whisk together the flour, baking soda, and 1 teaspoon salt in a large bowl.
- Beat the butter and both sugars on medium-high speed in the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment (or in a large bowl if using a handheld mixer) until light and fluffy, about 4 minutes. Add the eggs, one at a time, beating after each addition to incorporate. Beat in the vanilla. Scrape down the side of the bowl as needed. Reduce the speed to medium, add the flour mixture and beat until just incorporated. Stir in the chocolate chips.
- Scoop 12 heaping tablespoons of dough about 2 inches apart onto each prepared baking sheet. Roll the dough into balls with slightly wet hands. Bake, rotating the cookie sheets from upper to lower racks halfway through, until golden but still soft in the center, 12 to 15 minutes (the longer the cooking time, the crunchier the cookies). Let cool for a few minutes on the baking sheet, and then transfer to a rack to cool completely.
- Let the baking sheets cool completely, scoop the remaining dough onto 1 sheet, and bake. Store the cookies in a tightly sealed container at room temperature for up to 5 days.
10. Greek Salad
Salads are paired with many meals and are essential to any completed dinner. Try this greek salad that will have your taste buds wanting more! Attached below are the directions on how to make a greek salad like an adult! If you want more details on the ingredients and the recipe check out the website!
- 1 Make the dressing: Whisk the olive oil, lemon juice, garlic, vinegar, oregano, and dill together until blended. Season to taste with salt and freshly ground black pepper.
- This can be prepared 3 hours ahead. Let stand at room temperature. Re-whisk before using.
- 2 Combine salad ingredients: Combine the tomatoes, cucumber, onion, bell pepper, olives in a bowl. Toss with dressing. Sprinkle with cheese and serve.