The University of Tampa is a very unique school with a small student body (approximately 8,000 undergrads) and idyllic campus located in the heart of downtown. The UT experience is unlike any other. If you go to Tampa, you’ll recognize some of the items listed below and (hopefully) get a laugh out of them. If you’re unfamiliar with our fair college, allow me to introduce you to life as a Tampa student with these comedic “would-you-rathers.” Enjoy!
1. Would you rather date a bro from Long Island, New Jersey, or Massachusetts?
If you know anything about Tampa you know 99.9% of the student body comes from these three locations. So, ladies, what’s it going to be?
2. Would you rather live off campus and not have a car or on campus with reliable transportation?
Tough choice, but not having a car in Tampa SUCKS. There’s very limited public transportation in this city and it’s not exactly pedestrian-friendly. So unless you have very generous roommates who are willing to schlep you around town, I think I’d have to go with the dorm even though parking on campus is sparse. But I demand my own room. I’m 22-years-old a.k.a. I don’t do bunk beds!
3. Would you rather go to Treasure Island or Clearwater on the weekends?
Life is hard for us UT students. I mean, we have to drive a full 45 minutes to get to the best beaches in the U.S. And sometimes there’s traffic!
4. Would you rather have a class at 8 a.m. on Fridays or an 8 p.m. on Thursdays?
This question is evil. I value my three-day weekends more than Kris Jenner values Kim Kardashian’s ass for giving all her children careers. Therefore, I’m not scheduling anything on Friday even though this means missing out on $1 beers in SoHo every Thursday. *sigh* You can’t have it all.
5. Would you rather get student-rate tickets to a Bucs game or watch the Lightning play for a discounted rate at Amalie?
This one boils down to hockey vs. football. FYI: If you choose anything but hockey I don’t want to know you.
6. Would you rather get tacos and margs at Bar Taco or “sangritas” and churros at Green Lemon?
I plead the fifth on this one. They’re both too good to choose. Gun to my head, I know which one I’d pick, but I don’t want to influence your vote.
7. Would you rather take artsy insta pics at Buddy Brew in Hyde Park or sip tea in the picturesque lobby of Oxford Exchange?
I’m partial to the pastries at the former location—specifically the almond croissant—so if you need me that’s where I’ll be, stuffing my face full of delicious confections.
8. Would you rather live in Tampa year-round but not get to go home for holidays and breaks, or live an hour away (e.g. in Bradenton or Orlando) and commute to class and social events?
Both situations have pros and cons. The former means you’re establishing independence, but it also means you don’t get to see your family often. The latter would make it harder to establish meaningful connections at school and you would be driving A LOT. On the bright side, you would save money living at home and your family would be close by when you need them. I can’t with this question. I need both worlds. I am the queen of back home ballin’.
9. Would you rather stroll along the Riverwalk in downtown or hike along Bayshore Boulevard?
You can’t really go wrong here. Anytime you can be outside on a sunny day and walk by the water is a good day. Amiright?
10. Would you rather drive to Disney for the day or take a trip to Devil’s Den?
They’re both about an hours drive from the University of Tampa, so it just depends on what your preference is: rollercoasters and Mickey Mouse or hiking and sea turtles?
This is just a fun little piece to get you thinking about some of your favorite things about the University of Tampa! Hopefully the question about 8 a.m. classes won’t happen to you, but if it does just know that we’ve all been there and made it out alive. Focus on the fact that you can keep your tan all year. That should soften the blow.