Cruelty free beauty is taking the beauty industry by storm. With an ever-increasing amount of social demand for more environmentally friendly, sustainable, cruelty free and vegan beauty products, it is no surprise that there are many brands popping up with a focus on being cruelty free as well as older brands transitioning as well.
Cruelty free beauty means that the product is not tested on animals at any stage during manufacturing and production. This means that not only is the finished product not tested on animals, but also the ingredients aren’t tested on animals and the company doesn’t test on animals when required by law. For example, a lot of cruelty free beauty companies choose to not sell their products in China as animal testing is legally required.
Cruelty free beauty is not to be confused with vegan beauty though – it contain sustainably sourced animal by-products and vegan beauty can be tested on animals. If you are looking to change up your beauty routine and make it more animal friendly, then here are our top 10 cruelty free beauty brands!
1. Adorn Cosmetics
Adorn Cosmetics is an Australian based beauty brand that sells skincare and makeup. It’s completely independent and cruelty free – having never tested on animals – and is also 100% vegan. It has also been accredited as toxin-free and allergen-free.
The best thing about Adorn Cosmetics (besides its awesome products) is they offer a unique sample program so you can try their products before buying it full sized. They also offer refills so you can send your empty packaging back and get it refilled to avoid waste!
2. Anastasia Beverly Hills
Anastasia Beverly Hills is one of the largest, most well-known cruelty free beauty brands and has remained independent. Some of their most popular products include glow palettes and their Dipbrow Pomade, both of which have been heavily featured and used by beauty influencers on Instagram.
BareMinerals is a beauty brand that has an amazing range of products from skincare to makeup. They are cruelty free, chemical and paraben free, and donate 1% of all sales to women’s education, entrepreneurship and mentorship through their “Power Of Good Fund”.
4. Burt’s Bees
Burt’s Bees is another cruelty free beauty; however, their parent company tests on animals, so it is up to personal choice on whether or not you choose to support this brand. Burt’s Bees’ products are not tested on animals and are also 99% natural (with more than half being 100% natural). Burt’s Bees are best known for their incredible lip balms but have many other makeup and skincare products!
5. Hourglass Cosmetics
Hourglass cosmetics is 100% cruelty free in all aspects and is also aiming to be 100% vegan by 2020 – already offering a large range of vegan beauty as they work towards this goal. Additionally, they donate 1% of proceeds to Nonhuman Rights Project which is a civil rights organisation working towards securing fundamental rights for animals.
Another cruelty free beauty brand that is popular among influencers is Tarte Cosmetics. Tarte doesn’t test on animals, is free from parabens, is gluten free and vegan friendly. Tarte is best known for their palettes, concealers and eye products.
7. Fenty Beauty
Not only is Rihanna’s beauty line, Fenty Beauty, absolutely incredible it is also 100% cruelty free! Fenty also has a selection of products that are vegan. The best Fenty Products are the body luminizers, the matte long wear foundation, and the lip paints.
Another awesome thing about this beauty brand is Rihanna ensured there was a large range of skin colours in the concealers and foundations to ensure the right colour for all skin types.
8. Lush Cosmetics
Lush is another skincare and makeup company that is 100% cruelty free. They are also 80% vegan with the other 20% of products containing ingredients such as milk, honey, lanolin and eggs. Lush also offers a lot of naked skincare and beauty products to avoid unnecessary packaging and waste.
9. E.L.F Cosmetics
E.L.F (Eyes, Lips Face) Cosmetics are an affordable, yet quality beauty brand. Their products are 100% cruelty free, 100% vegan and 100% cute! They have a large range of products that are long-lasting and of high quality – but are offered at drugstore prices.
10. Colourpop Cosmetics
Last one our list is Colourpop Cosmetics. Colourpop is super trendy, popular with Instagram influencers and super affordable! They are most well known for their eyeshadows and colourful lipsticks. They are 100% cruelty free and also offer a range of vegan products.