Passing a job interview is a nerve-wracking process. In a very short amount of time, you have to convince that you want the job, that you have the right skills, the right mindset, the right everything, notwithstanding the fact that you have prepared yourself for this moment quite thoroughly: you studied the company that you are applying for, ‘made your research’ as they say, chosen a couple of days in advance the right outfit…. But the devil often hides in details – Did you ever think about sending a Thank You email after passing an interview? You thought you smashed this job interview, and yet they hired somebody else?
Relying only on first impressions is such an easy mistake. Keep in mind that employers might use that email as an extension of the interview: they will evaluate what kind of employee you will be by checking the structure of your email, the spelling, the grammar and the vocabulary. Or, it might be a real second chance.
So, to help you out, here are a few sample Thank You Emails that you can use after passing an interview.
1. The Basics You Must Know
Thank You emails should include the following elements (written in a formal way) :
– Don’t forget to fill the subject line. Thank You – your Name
– A formal form of address like ‘Dear Mr/Ms xxx’
– Express your thanks, remind the position you are applying for, and write what you liked about the interview. I would like to thank you for interviewing me this afternoon for the position of analyst. I was delighted to learn more about the role.
– Remind the interviewer of a fact that sets you apart from the other candidates. Make it personal! Being multilingual makes me a perfect fit for your company.
– Show your determination to have this job. I am really excited about this position.
– Closing sentence: gratitude and thanks. I would like to thank you again for this opportunity. Let me know if you have any additional questions. I look forward to hearing back from you. Warm regards.
2. Sample Thank You Emails
Obviously, the Thank You email depends on what kind of job you are applying for – you might think twice before sending an email full of adjectives like ‘great’, ‘awesome’ or ‘amazing’, if you are applying for the position of analyst in an international company, for instance. It is also preferable not to use the same Thank You note twice – every job is different so you might show how adaptable and flexible you are on that one!
Here are two sample Thank You emails:
The Informal Thank You email
Dear [Name of your interviewer],
Thank you for taking the time to meet me and answering my questions. I am very enthusiastic about this position and I honestly think that it is a perfect fit. It seems like an amazing place to work. I especially loved hearing about [something you enjoyed talking about].
I look forward to hearing back from you.
All the best,
The Formal Thank You Email
Thank very much for taking your time to interview me for the position . I genuinely enjoyed meeting you and hearing about the diverse opportunities available at [Company’s name].
As we discussed in the interview, I believe my experience and competencies fit well your requirements.
I am confident that [Company’s name] is a great match for me and our meeting confirmed my desire to become part of the team.
It was a pleasure to meet you. Please do not hesitate to contact me if you need any additional information. Thank you again for your interest and time.
Do not hesitate to use these sample Thank You emails for inspiration!