With summer fast approaching, there’s no better time to try out some new sweet potato salad recipes in preparation for the warm weather. Cilantro lime sweet potato salad is the perfect healthy recipe to enjoy in the sun, is incredibly easy to make and is both gluten free and vegan. This quick dish would make an ideal lunch or side salad to split with friends and family at a BBQ.
There are a few different variations on very similar Cilantro Lime Sweet Potato Salad recipes so we’ve listed a few below. Pick your favourite and give it a go.
Cilantro Lime Sweet Potato Salad
This recipe serves 6 people and can be served hot or chilled.
- 4 sweet potatoes
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 3 tablespoons lime juice
- ½ teaspoon agave syrup
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 2 cloves crushed garlic
- ⅓ cup diced red onion
- 1 cup chopped cilantro
1. Peel the sweet potatoes and then cut them into chunks.
2. Boil the potato chunks in a pan of water until they are soft. This typically takes around 12 to 15 minutes. Then drain them in a colander.
3. Mix together the lime juice, olive oil, agave, cayenne pepper, salt, black pepper, garlic and red onions in a bowl, before stirring in the cilantro.
4. Once the sweet potato has cooled, stir the chunks into the bowl until they are covered in the dressing.
Loaded Sweet Potato with Cilantro Lime Sauce
This recipe serves 1 person and tastes better when served hot.
- 1 sweet potato
- 1/4 cup shredded chicken
- 1/2 avocado
- 2 small hot red peppers
- 1 large handful kale
- 1 tablespoon pumpkin seeds
- 1/2 cup cilantro
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 2 tablespoon olive oil plus extra for sautéing
- First, place the sauce ingredients in a blender and blend until they are combined, before putting the mix in the fridge.
- Place the sweet potato on a baking tray and put it in the oven at 200 degCelsiuslsius. Allow it to bake until the inside is soft. This should take around an hour.
- Heat the olive oil in a pan and sauté the kale for a few minutes on either side. When it starts to look brown and crispy on the sides remove from heat.
- Slice the sweet potato down the middle and stuff with kale and shredded chicken, top with cilantro, avocado slices, and cilantro lime sauce and sprinkle with pumpkin seeds.
Sweet Potato Black Bean Cilantro Salad
This recipe serves 3 people and can be served hot or cold.
- 1 sweet potato
- 1 can black beans, rinsed and drained
- ½ cup minced cilantro leaves and stems
- ¼ cup red onion, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- ½ tsp cumin and red pepper flake, each
- ¼ tsp salt and pepper, each
- ½ a lime, juiced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Peel and chop the sweet potato into chunks.
- Put some olive oil in a pan and fry the chunks of potato making sure to stir them so they don’t stick, until they soften or start to brown. This should take around 20 minutes.
- In a bowl mix together the black beans, cilantro, onion, garlic, cumin, red pepper flake, salt and pepper and once the sweet potato has had time to cool, stir this into the mixture as well.
- In a separate bowl mix together the lime juice and olive oil before pouring it over the sweet potato and stir it all together.
Will you be trying any of these recipes out this summer? Let us know in the comments below.
Featured image source: https://www.pinterest.co.uk/pin/75224256246170995/
I am a 22 year old journalist and writer from Manchester. I'm interested in veganism, vintage fashion, classic rock and spirituality.