We all know that there aren’t enough hours in the day to get all of our work done AND reward ourselves with a much-needed break. And more often than not, scheduling a spa day or an out-of-the-blue vacation can be out of the question. But treating yourself throughout the day can really turn things around. Continue reading to discover 20 tips for really treating yourself!
1. Exfoliate once or twice a day. Exfoliate to clean up your skin, soften it, keep it healthy and to remove everyday dirt and grime.
2. Apply SPF religiously. UV rays are the number one cause of premature aging, so if you want to avoid sun spots and fine lines, wear that SPF religiously!
3. Apply a rich body butter as soon as you’re done in the shower. Apply a dollop of body butter directly to your skin after showering. Rub it in gently, using firm, broad strokes, until the body butter is fully absorbed. Pay particular attention to dry areas like your feet, hands, elbows and knees.
4. Always use a moisturiser before applying makeup for a smooth base.
5. Try tea-tree oil to treat pimples and to prevent blemishes.
6. Wash your hair every 2-3 days. Try not to wash your hair every day as daily washing can dry both your scalp and your hair. Washing the hair less often will help preserve the natural oils in thescalp and keep hair well moisturized. Washing your hair weekly or even every other week might be enough for you if you have very dry hair.
7. Use sulphate-free shampoos. People with dry or frizzy hair especially should consider using sulfate-free shampoos.
8. Use conditioning treatments or a hair mask weekly. A hair mask is a unique deep-conditioning treatment that repairs and restores from the inside out, working to actually reverse damage caused by processing, colouring, styling and the environment.
9. Dry shampoo is a good way to add volume to fine hair.
10. Brush your curls with your fingers for a more tousled and relaxed look.
11. Clean your makeup brushes and utensils on a regular basis, with warm water and a bit of soap.
12. Invest in a new foundation that suits your undertone. For each range of shades, there is also a range of undertones: cool, warm, and neutral. You want to find the right shade with the right undertone. For instance, very light blondes with pale skin that burns easily often look best with a fair shade of foundation that has a yellow or golden undertone.
13. Be brave – wear that red lipstick sitting in the bottom of your makeup bag.
14. Always remove your makeup before going to bed. Makeup residue and the substances that make your make up can also cause many skin imperfections, when left for hours on end during the night. That’s why it is important to use a makeup remover before going to bed, and then moisturizing your face to help your skin breathe right.
15. For a dewy look, apply highlighter to the highest points of the face i.e. the cheekbones, bridge of the nose, browbone, tear duct and cupid’s bow.
16. Wash your pillow case every week or so to help prevent acne.
17. Don’t let people ruin your day. Treating yourself starts with bulding your self-confidence and loving yourself, and you can’t do that with negative people in your life.
18. Try making your own lip balm or scented soap.
19. Give your handbag a good and thorough clean.
20. Cucumbers are good for dark circles and puffy eyes. Place a slice over each eye, and sit back and relax for 10 minutes.