Ah, New Year’s! The one night of the year where it is not only socially acceptably to get rip-roaring drunk and make out with a total stranger, but society practically demands it of you. I’ll admit, I too enjoy throwing on my “freakum dress” and toasting as the ball drops at midnight on January 1st, but some years staying in can be just as good a celebration as going out. Here are 15 things I’d rather be doing than going out on New Year’s!
1. Drinking till the last drop without having to worry about overpriced cocktails, tipping, or finding a ride home.
Uber surge? No thanks, I’m good right here.
2. Wearing leggings instead of a bodycon dress.
All that elasticity makes for much comfier couch-lounging. Not to mention, it’s more forgiving of your newly acquired holiday bod after consuming one-too-many Christmas cookies (you’ll start working out again tomorrow).
3. Avoiding all the unwanted drunkards hitting on you.
There’s a time and a place for that, but it’s not at the start of a new year.
4. Watching the ball drop from the warmth of your own house…
…whilst petting your dog and eating delicious takeout!
5. Flipping channels during commercial breaks to catch NYE classics like the Sex and the City movie.
Except then it bums you out because Big is spending New Year’s Eve alone.
6. But FOMO will no doubt take over around 11pm.
And you’ll cry into your champagne as you scroll through friends’ social media feeds prompting you to question your decision to stay in.
7. You’ll cheer up though when you realize that they’ll wake up with a massive hangover and dwindling bank account tomorrow while you’re still sound asleep.
Because you made the responsible—albeit “boring”—choice to stay in rather than going out on New Year’s.
8. Lighting some candles, pouring a generous glass of bubbly, and climbing into a warm soothing bath.
You’ll drift away as the melody of “Auld Lang Syne” washes over you.
9. Perhaps curling up with a good book and some hot cocoa to quiet your mind after a busy year and hectic holiday is just the ticket.
As long as you don’t fall asleep before midnight!
10. Celebrating with your own tradition like setting off fireworks or banging pots and pans around the neighborhood.
Who says staying in means you have to stay indoors?
11. Planning all the exciting things you’re going to do in the new year or mapping our what you’re resolutions are going to be.
Looking forward is more fun than looking back, anyway.
12. Doing your laundry so that you start the new year with plenty of clean underwear and end the old year being productive (win-win!).
13. Going to bed at 10pm and skipping all the pomp and circumstance.
Either way, when you wake up in the morning it will be a new year, but this way you won’t have to start it with massive dark circles under your eyes.
14. Whatever you wind up doing, ringing in the new year with loved ones is always the best choice.
Since when has hanging out with your dog ever NOT been a good idea?
15. And if you can’t be with your family for whatever reason, call someone you love and tell them you’re thinking about them.
That way you both have a happy new year!
Are you planning on going out on New Year’s? Tell us in the comments below!
Featured photo source: www.favim.com
A MEDIA AND COMMUNICATIONS MAJOR WITH A CONCENTRATION IN WRITING, CATHERINE TRANSFERRED TO THE UNIVERSITY OF TAMPA FROM PITT IN THE FALL OF 2016 AND IS LOVING THE WARM WEATHER AND PALM TREES! SHE LOOKS FORWARD TO TRAVELING AND EXPERIENCING ALL THAT COLLEGE HAS TO OFFER BEFORE GRADUATING in 2018 AND CONTINUING TO WRITE PROFESSIONALLY.