When I first started college, I didn’t know what to expect. You never really know until you show up for that first day, in all its glory, and see for yourself what college is all about. But if you’re looking for some tips and tricks of the trade, I hope my two cents into my first year of college life helps you have a great freshman year at Southern Methodist University.
1. Your allowance will be full drained in a matter of a week due to brunch, bars, and god only knows what else.
If you think you’re going to have money by the end of the month you’re just plain wrong.
2. You think you know summer humidity, then you experience Dallas in August. Good luck.
3. White sheets, comforter, basically anything white is such a no no. You’ll thank me later.
4. Waking up for class after Wednesday night OT and Rose is purely comical. Word of the wise, don’t sign up for classes before 10 am.
5. Dorm room filth is real thing. You will see everything from piles of months old dirty laundry to half eaten meals in each corner of the room.
6. Archaeology is as close to death as it comes. Oh and Statistics, stay far far away from that one.
7. There isn’t one person who still has those after the first syllabus week.
8. Yeah you’re going to think about staying in and studying before that psych test.
Just like you think you’re going to eat like a normal human being. Neither of those will occur.
9. Napping at 8pm is perfectly acceptable if not encouraged before going out.
10. You will not own one pair of shoes that don’t have a thick layer of mud on them.
11. Somewhere within first semester, you and your friends will have devised an entirely different version of the English language.
Picture a group of insane girls randomly repeating the same 40 plus phrases over and over again.
12. The library isn’t a place for studying it’s a place for playing.
13. Don’t be bummed when mom’s weekend comes around.
Little do you know they go harder than we do. Ask Avenu.
14. No one actually goes to the football games.
When boulevard season comes around shoot for just making it out past brunch.
15. This school will feel so insanely small after about a month or two.
16. Winter break is a sick joke.
No one wants to be home for over a month, let alone away from SMU for that long.
17. Going out isn’t a sprint, it’s a full on marathon.
First comes the pregame with friends, then comes the pregame at the frat, and finally, if you’re lucky, you make it to the club.
18. First semester you will make the fateful decision to end your nights with in-n-out.
If you’re like most people you will make this decision all too often.
19. Don’t bother buying anything that isn’t black, you’ll never wear it.
20. No one, not even your parents, will tell you just how much you will absolutely love SMU.
Are you ready for freshman year at Southern Methodist University? Comment below.
Featured photo source: instagram.com
CT to DTX/ Freshman at SMU.