Getting ready to move into college is probably one of the most exciting times of your life. You’re anxiously looking forward to stepping into that empty dorm to make it a place of your own for the next year. Dorm room shopping can be fun, but it can also be overwhelming. There is SO much to buy and prepare. But, don’t let this milestone be tarnished by unneeded stress! We’ve got for you the ultimate checklist for college packing to make your life easier. (And your parents’, because let’s face it, they’re most likely the ones buying it all for you!)
The bedroom necessities you purchase can put an extra personal touch on your dorm room. From bedding to decor to colored storage bins, there are endless possibilities to let your dorm room show off your personality and truly be YOUR space!
- Sheets, Pillow case, Comforter: You can either purchase all three of these separately, or get a full bedding set.
- Bedrisers: A great option for when you want to stick stuff under your bed but the dorm bed frame is too low! Sold at Walmart.
- Full-length mirror: Target, Walmart
- Posters: Posters are a simple way to surround your room with your interests and passions. Check out these awesome posters from PB Teen and AllPosters.
- Storage bins.
- Under-the-bed storage:
- Desk lamp.
- Clothes hangers
- Laundry bag/basket: Definitely a must-have. Target, Bed Bath & Beyond
- Over-the-door hooks: Over-the-door hooks are great to minimize clutter on shelves and on your floor. You can stick scarves, jackets, sweaters, and even jewelry holders on these things. Check out some cute ones from Target & Bed, Bath & Beyond.
- Mini trash can.
Whether you have to share a communal bathroom with your floor, or with your suitemates, you are definitely going to need plenty of items to make it seem like you’re showering in the comfort of your own home!
- Towels: Target, Bed Bath & Beyond, Dormify,
- Shower Caddy: Bed Bath & Beyond,
- Flip Flops: Old Navy
- Shampoo & Conditioner
- Toothbrush & Toothpaste
- Dental floss
- Dryer sheets
- Nail Clippers
- Cotton Swabs
- Basic OTC meds
Packing clothes for college can be kind of stressful, especially if you’re going far away from home where you don’t know what to expect. A rule of thumb: It’s always better to have too much than too little!
- Light/heavy jackets
- 2 pairs of sneakers
- business-casual clothes
- 1 pair of dress shoes
- Outfits to go out
- 1 swimsuit
Technology makes everybody’s life easier, especially a college student – between taking your laptop to class, listening to music while getting ready for the night with your friends, or needing to manually get the Internet when your school’s wifi goes down.
- Laptop: Laptops are obviously a HUGE necessity for a college student. Shop Microsoft, Lenovo, & Best Buy.
- Portable speakers
- HDMI, Ethernet cable
- Extension cords
It’s hard to stay organized in college when you’re so busy with classes and trying to have a social life, but organization is key to being a successful college student!
- USB flashdrives
- Pens & Pencils
- Folder with pockets
- Index cards
- Sticky notes
- Paper clips
- Binder clips
- Stackable desk trays
When you finally get in touch with your roommate, you guys are going to want to plan everything – who’s bringing what, who already has the fridge, what accessories you guys want for your room, etc. Here are some to discuss with your new roomie:
- Audio equipment
- TV & DVD player
- Mini fridge
- Area rug
You might not have a full live-in gourmet kitchen for the next year, but that doesn’t mean kitchenware isn’t needed. Believe it or not, there are TONS of awesome meals and snacks you can have and make in your dorm room. But, there are a few things you need to make that possible.
- Can/bottle opener
- Paper towels
- Trash bag
- All-purpose cleaner
- Plastic storage bags
- Food containers
- Dish soap
There are always little things that you forget to think of after all the big stuff is taken care of.
If you think we forgot anything important on here, let us know so we can help out your fellow college student! Tweet @SOCIETY19 and tell us what else is a MUST-PACK item! HAPPY PACKING!
This is a sponsored post. All opinions are my own.
Graduate of Emerson College '15 with B.S. in Multimedia Journalism. Originally from Haverhill, MA. Lover of dogs (and some cats), shoes, hot sauce and depleting my bank account.