So, you’ve applied for a position and you received the call back for an interview. Now, what are you going to wear? Before you go rummaging through your closet, take a look at this list of items you should leave in there. Remember, you only get one chance to make a first impression, so here’s what NOT to wear to a job interview!
1. Any article of clothing with bright colors or patterns.
Sure you will stand out from others, but for all of the wrong reasons. Let your interview be about your qualifications for the position, not your distracting outfit.
2. Backpacks, fanny packs or even purses.
A briefcase or portfolio gives you much more professional look.
3. Jeans or any other denim article of clothing. No. Just no.
4. Short skirts, low cut blouses and visible undergarments.
Unless you’re interviewing for a porno, but other than that you come off as trashy. You don’t want to give off the impression that you may be only good for one thing, and it’s not the position you applied for!
5. Distracting patterns or colored ties.
Guys, the rule with ties when you’re wanting to look like a boss is a nice red or burgundy tie. Girl, just stay away from the patterns.
6. Tons of makeup. Keep it simple and natural.
7. Sandals, flip flops, stilettos or open toed shoes.
8. Sneakers, slides or scuffed up dress shoes.
9. Excessive Jewelry.
10. Fishnets or other patterned hosiery. Stick with neutral colors.
It doesn’t require much to look professional. To be prepared, it’s a good idea to plan ahead of time and have a professional outfit on standby. A simple guide to looking professional is to dress in a well fitting navy, black or grey business suit. It doesn’t have to cost a lot, I know college students don’t have much money to blow but instead of that hot new outfit you have been eyeing, invest in some business attire. You will thank me later.
Is this what you think of when you think of what NOT to wear to a job interview? Let us know in the comment section below!
Featured Image Source: www. Pinterest.com
A freelance writer/blogger from Atlanta,Ga. A life long beauty enthusiast.