The city of Tampa has its perks. Diverse culture? Check. Sunny skies? Check. Derek Jeter’s 30,000 square foot house? Check. Fun and hip urban community? Check and check. Tampa is a special city for all types of people that conjure a feeling of pride and that fosters a community of hard-working individuals. Here are 20 signs you grew up in Tampa.
1. Riding Sheikra was a milestone for you.
That 200-foot drop still makes your heart skip a beat.
2. You’ve survived brutal traffic in Malfunction Junction on I-275 and I-4.
3. The warmest thing you own is a hoodie.
No heavy coats needed.
4. You planned your Gasparilla outfits months in advance.
5. With that, Gasparilla is a renowned holiday.
6. You go to Berns… just for the Dessert room.
7. *drives an hour to a Ray’s game*
8. You would never run at noon on Bayshore… because that’s a death sentence.
9. Curtis Hixon is THE PLACE for Sunset Yoga on Sundays.
…and it’s free.
10. Automatically types 813 when getting someone’s number.
11. Cuban food is a commodity.
12. Tampa’s Oxford Exchange is the haven of all things good and aesthetically pleasing in the world.
13. Every Fall you swear to your friends that THIS is the Buc’s year.
14. You’re not at all phased by lightning.
15. You can go to the beach on Christmas.
The dirty little secret about Florida is that winter time is the most pleasant time to go to the beach.
16. High school rivalry proved to be just as real as college rivalry.
17. The Gonzmart family is your favorite family.
The owners of familiar restaurants such as The Columbia, Ulele and Goody Goody Burger that serve as Tampa must-visits.
18. The convenience of most places being 20 minutes away.
19. “Morgan & Morgan: For the People”
20. Even though Tampa has a population of 3 million, it miraculously feels like a small town.
Casually sees your elementary teacher, your camp friend, and your middle school boyfriend at International Mall in one setting.