Okay, so you’ve heard the dreaded “B Word” before. Maybe it was when you walked out of Starbucks, carrying your PSL in your LuLu Leggings or maybe it was when you were doing something simple, like using your rose gold iPhone. Whatever the occasion, many of us try to steer away from being “basic” despite the fact this basically means you like popular stuff. Here are some signs that you’re still basic even though you’re trying not to be, many of which I am guilty of myself (and there’s nothing wrong with that)!
1. You go to Starbucks all the time but refuse to order a Frappuccino.
You know ordering the famous “Frap” at your local Starbucks is the epitome of basic-ism so you settle for a less-obvious macchiato or iced coffee. In the winter you swap the basic Pumpkin Spice Latte (PSL) for a mocha or other sweet warm drink.
2. You wouldn’t be caught dead wearing UGGs but you do own a pair of Adidas Superstars.
You’ve given up your UGGs (even though they’re like a warm hug for your feet) but the equally sporty and chic adidas superstars are a staple in your everyday wardrobe, despite the fact that these are as, if not more basic as UGGs. Bonus basic points if your pair are white with black stripes!
3. You have that one green jacket. Yep, you’re still basic.
You know the one. The faux army jacket you wear with everything in the fall.
4. You jam to Drake.
Drake is rap for girls that also like Taylor Swift but don’t want to admit it. Don’t lie to yourself, T-Swiz is the best.
5. You don’t have a Lilly Pulitzer Agenda but do own an equally girly one.
It probably has gold writing on it. You probably don’t use it as much as you swore you would.
6. You know Instagram is basic, so you devote your time to Twitter.
Yes, you still post your cute vacation pics on Instagram and rake in the likes, but you can be found scrolling through your Twitter feed at all times of the day. Not only is it less basic, but there is so. much. content.
7. Your Netflix queue doesn’t have One Tree Hill or Gossip Girl anywhere in sight but is full of titles like The Office and Parks and Rec instead.
Teen dramas just aren’t for you but you spend hours watching the (honestly more popular) comedies that can make almost anyone smile.
8. You don’t watch Keeping Up With the Kardashians but still follow them all on social media.
You don’t want to be one of those basic girls that watches the show every week, but you still follow the whole Kardashian-Jenner clan on Instagram, Snapchat, Twitter etc. “What? Khloe’s hilarious” you say.
9. You won’t put bath bombs on your Snap story, but you secretly love them.
Let’s face it, if Lush had a loyalty card, you would sign up for it.
10. You would never admit it but you know you’re basic and love it.
And there’s nothing wrong with that <3