It’s so important that you love yourself in order to live a meaningful life. Some people say self-love is just vanity, but in reality, self-love is all about self-worth and self-respect. Those who have everything often search for happiness their entire lives and never find it, whereas those who have nothing often never feel the need to search for happiness anywhere other than within themselves.
Take care of your mental health and pursue lifelong happiness by reading these 20 quotes that will encourage you to love yourself for who you are!
1. Remember always that you not only have the right to be an individual, you have an obligation to be one.” – Eleanor Roosevelt
This bold statement says you should never feel the need to conform to anyone else’s way of life, which is the perfect reminder to be yourself and love who you are.
2. “What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.” – Ralph Waldo Emerson
Don’t underestimate yourself. Every obstacle of the past, present, and future can be overcome by applying what you already possess within you.
3. “When you recover or discover something that nourishes your soul and brings joy, care enough about yourself to make room for it in your life.” – Jean Shinoda Bolen
In other words, love yourself enough to do what you enjoy and what is beneficial to your growth. Don’t allow a lack of time to interfere with your happiness.
4. “Don’t ask yourself what the world needs; ask yourself what makes you come alive. And then go and do that. Because what the world needs is people who have come alive.” – Howard Washington Thurman
The world doesn’t need more insecure people trying to please everyone but themselves. The world needs more people to embrace their individuality and shine their light!
5. “One’s dignity may be assaulted, vandalized, and cruelly mocked, but it can never be taken away unless it is surrendered.” – Michael J. Fox
This is a reminder that no matter what others say or think, the only opinion of you that matters is your own. Don’t surrender your self-esteem to someone who doesn’t live your life, walk in your shoes, or know what is and isn’t important to you!
6. “Too many people overvalue what they are not and undervalue what they are.” – Malcolm S. Forbes
Take pride in your accomplishments no matter how small, and be the best version of yourself that you can possibly be; that alone is enough.
7. “You have been criticizing yourself for years, and it hasn’t worked. Try approving of yourself and see what happens.” – Louise L. Hay
You won’t see any long-term growth if you focus on where you need to improve versus your strengths. Love yourself enough to appreciate each hurdle you face and each flaw you have.
8. “We are each gifted in a unique and important way. It is our privilege and our adventure to discover our own special light.” – Mary Dunbar
No one is irrelevant, and everyone is irreplaceable—even you. Kick back and enjoy your journey to self-discovery!
9. “To be yourself in a world that is constantly trying to make you something else is the greatest accomplishment.” – Ralph Waldo Emerson
Society dictates how we should live and act, which is the cruelest offense against oneself. Don’t give into what others want for you if it contradicts with what you want for yourself.
10. “Love yourself enough to set boundaries. Your time and energy are precious. You get to choose how you use it. You teach people how to treat you by deciding what you will and won’t accept.” – Anna Taylor
The quote says it all: don’t waste your precious time and energy on those who don’t value it!
11. “People who want the most approval get the least and the people who need approval the least get the most.” – Wayne Dyer
This is true because people who need approval from others never achieve enough of it, whereas those who don’t need approval from others feel approval and fulfillment by making themselves happy.
12. “Nothing can stop the man with the right mental attitude from achieving his goal; nothing on earth can help the man with the wrong mental attitude.” – Thomas Jefferson
If your mindset is negative, then you will never have the motivation, determination, and perseverance necessary to fight for what you want!
13. “Accept yourself, love yourself, and keep moving forward. If you want to fly, you have to give up what weighs you down.” – Roy T. Bennett
And most of the time, what weighs you down is your own negative thoughts about everything you’re doing wrong versus everything you have the potential to do right.
14. “Self-love is an ocean and your heart is a vessel. Make it full, and any excess will spill over into the lives of the people you hold dear. But you must come first.” – Beau Taplin
You can’t nourish others if you yourself are malnourished, just like you can’t help someone fit their oxygen mask on a plane if you pass out from oxygen deprivation first!
15. “The reward for conformity is that everyone likes you but yourself.” – Rita Mae Brown
Because conformity implies you’re going along with what society views as desirable, you’re betraying yourself in the process, which will start to wear down your self-worth.
16. “People are like stained-glass windows. They sparkle and shine when the sun is out, but when the darkness sets in their true beauty is revealed only if there is light from within.” – Elisabeth Kübler-Ross
This beautiful analogy is the perfect example of how inner beauty and self-love are intertwined; one who loves oneself shines and spreads light from within.
17. “Most of the shadows of this life are caused by standing in one’s own sunshine.” – Ralph Waldo Emerson
You are the only person who can prevent you from achieving your goals and growing as a person. Be confident in your abilities and cast aside your self-doubt!
18. “Self-pity gets you nowhere. One must have the adventurous daring to accept oneself as a bundle of possibilities and undertake the most interesting game in the world making the most of one’s best.” – Harry Emerson Fosdick
In a nutshell, stop throwing yourself pity parties and instead embrace your strengths and weaknesses to make your life and the lives of those around you as meaningful as possible.
19. “Love yourself. Enough to take the actions required for your happiness. Enough to cut yourself loose from the drama-filled past. Enough to set a high standard for relationships. Enough to feed your mind and body in a healthy manner. Enough to forgive yourself. Enough to move on.” – Steve Maraboli
This quote speaks for itself: keep moving forward, and never question or undermine your self-worth.
20. “Your task is not to seek for love, but merely to seek and find all the barriers within yourself that you have built against it.” – Rumi
And the first step is by breaking down the barriers that are keeping you from loving yourself! Only then can you truly be whole.
Have these uplifting quotes helped you appreciate and love yourself as much as you deserve? Comment below!
Featured image source: https://fares-3.tumblr.com/image/623022192886726656
Jamie graduated from Cal Poly Pomona in 2016 with a Bachelor of Arts in English. She is an aspiring writer, professional editor/proofreader, and piano player. In her free time, Jamie enjoys reading classic literary works, composing music, and playing Xbox with her husband!