Everyone knows how important it is to stay true to yourself. Well, it is just as important to remember to stay true to your style. Whatever your personal style may be: own it. With all the new trendsetters these days, as well as the surplus of social media outreach and advertising, it is no surprise how difficult it is to keep up with the latest “in” styles and fashion trends. It is also difficult to own your personal style on a college budget. New York in particular is the city where fashionistas thrive, but many often forget that the city also allows oddballs to come alive. Whether you find yourself with some extra dough in your wallet or tight for cash, keep reading for tips on how to own your personal style in NYC!
Understand the difference between fashion and style.
There is a difference between fashion and style. The main difference is that fashion is an art, where the consumer is the blank canvas waiting to be painted and imprinted upon by the fashion. Style allows the consumer to imprint themselves and their fashion on the world. Therefore, your personal style allows the consumer to be the painter and the world to be their gallery.
“Fashions fade, style is eternal.” – Yves Saint Laurent
Don’t try to fit into any “fashion mold”: they don’t exist.
Fashion molds don’t exactly exist. Even if two people wear the same article of clothing, chances are they will each wear the piece in a different way, combined with different styles. We are all different. Don’t be somebody you’re not. The beautiful thing about New York is that everyone in the city adds a color to the canvas, and the final piece is alluring. It does not take much to contribute to the artwork. You don’t have to be a supermodel; you just have to be yourself.
“In order to be irreplaceable, one must always be different.” -Mademoiselle Chanel
Practice confidence in your personal style.
Confidence looks great on anyone. If you have an outfit on that you aren’t too crazy about, but wear it with a smile and your head held high, the outfit immediately becomes more appealing to yourself and others. Don’t be afraid to flaunt your style; people are going to judge you anyway. Who knows, maybe you’ll inspire others to be like you, or more importantly you will inspire others to be themselves.
How can I create and maintain a personal style in NYC if I am living on a budget?
1. Know your personal style well, really figure out what your style consists of, and stick with it. Own it.
2. Sales are your best friend. When it all comes down to it, your personal style won’t change completely just because of the latest trends. No shame in bargain shopping!
3. Mackelmore said it best and it’s true. Thrift shopping is such a wonderful way to economically splurge on garments. You also don’t have to worry about a person in class wearing the same outfit as you.
4. If you are truly stripped for cash, remember the “3 Rs”: Reduce the amount of money you spend by Reusing and Recycling your old clothes.
5. Take the time to research your favorite stylists and fashionistas. Then re-create these styles to the best of your ability with what you already have in your wardrobe. Research fun Pinterest boards such as this one for inspiration!
“The fashionable woman wears clothes. The clothes don’t wear her.” -Designer Mary Quant
How do you own your personal style in NYC? How do you own your personal style on a tighter budget? Comment below and share this article with friends!
Featured image source: fashions-hairstyles.com, fadedfashionista.
Kamoy Andrews is a junior at St. John’s University. She is a major in Finance and minor in International Studies. She enjoys exercising, reading, and eating food. She also enjoys reading the news. She is obsessed with traveling, and her dream destination is Fiji. She visited 11 countries, and hopes to visit at least 39 more. Her favorite books include: The Wind Blows Backward, The Handmaid’s Tale, Oryx and Crake, and The Harry Potter Series. In her spare time she likes to walk around NYC and take pictures with her Kodak camera.