Memorial Day is one of the most patriotic holidays us Americans celebrate with pride. We honor the fallen, those still serving, and the families that endure the trials and tribulations of having a loved one shipped off to serve our beautiful country. We found these 10 Memorial Day quotes that are sure to pull at those patriotic heart strings. Check them out!
1. “America without her soldiers would be like God without his angels.” -Claudia Pemberton
There really are no other words for this quote. It 1000% speaks for itself and is 1000% true. Our country would not be what it is today and we would not live so freely if it weren’t for the amazing men and women that have sacrificed everything to serve our country.
2. “For love of country they accepted death, and thus resolved all doubts, and made immortal their patriotism and their virtue.” -James A. Garfield
Basically, our soldiers are the best example of a true American. They give everything, including their lives, for America the beautiful. It is in this great sacrifice that their legacies live on forever in our hearts.
3. “It is foolish and wrong to mourn the men who died. Rather we should thank God such men lived.” -George S. Patton
We understand this particular quote may come across slightly controversial. Especially to those who have lost a loved one. We included it anyways because even though we inevitable mourn our fallen saviors, it is crucial that we thank God every single day that our country and our people are privileged to live amongst such heroes.
4. “Our flag does not fly because the wind moves it. It flies with the last breath of every soldier who died protecting it.” -Unknown
All we can say is… tissues, please?
5. “No duty is more urgent than that of returning thanks.” -James Allen
It is unfortunate to think of how many soldiers return home to nothing or nobody. It’s heartbreaking to know how many soldiers come home just to end up on the streets homeless, rejected and forgotten by society after all they have done for us. If you ever see a soldier, in uniform or not, anywhere at anytime, make sure to at least say thank you if not shake their hand as well.
6. “May we never forget freedom isn’t free.” -Unknown
We imagine that this one is another one of those Memorial Day quotes that speaks for itself.
7. “All gave some; some gave all.” -Unknown
Although there isn’t one particular person we can accredit this extremely famous quote to, we do know it originated from the Korean War. It has been one of the most infamous quotes of all time since the 1950s.
8. “The patriot’s blood is the seed of freedom’s tree.” -Thomas Campbell
Like we said, we wouldn’t have the luxurious lives we do today with all the opportunities and freedoms if it weren’t for all the men and women that sacrificed everything. A lot of people don’t realize just how good we have it. Times can be hard for everyone at some point, but if you look back to the way things used to be, you’ll realize just how good you have it too.
9. “To those in uniform serving today and to those who have served in the past, we honor you today and every day.” -Unknown
Although these are categorized as Memorial Day quotes and we go all out crazy patriotic on Memorial Day, it isn’t the only day that we celebrate our soldiers.
10. “Home of the free, because of the brave.” -Unknown
The grand finale of Memorial Day quotes. It might not be a long one, but it is perhaps one of the wisest, most knowledgeable Memorial Day quotes there is.