Fall candles are the perfect thing to set the mood in your cozy home, especially if they’ve been made by you! DIY candles are lot’s of fun to make and they’re usually less expensive then the candles you can buy in the store. Plus you can customize them to your favorite fall scents and colors!
DIY fall candles are also a great gift to anyone you know! Here’s a little guide on just how to make the perfect DIY fall candles. Enjoy!
Before you begin you’re going to want to collect the things you’ll need to make your perfect fall candles. Some of the things are optional, but everything is customizable to what you like! Below I’ll go over everything you’ll need and then how you can make your perfect candles!
Candle Wax Of Your Choice
First you’re going to choose the kind of wax you’re going to make your candle from. There are several different kinds; the main kinds are paraffin wax, soy wax, and beeswax. Paraffin is the most common and probably the cheapest whereas beeswax is a higher quality wax!
You can usually order your wax from Amazon or online candle making sites, or you can visit your local craft store to see if they have some in stock.
You’re also going to want to get a candlewick so you’re fall candle can burn properly. Candlewicks range from smaller sizes to larger sizes so you want to make sure you get the right size wick for your candle!
You don’t want your fall candles to be under-wicked or over-wicked, so it’s good to mess around with the sizes until you find the perfect sized wick for your candle. This way the candle will burn evenly and last longer!
Example: If a candle is under-wicked, it’s wick is too small and the candle will not burn enough. If a candle is over-wicked, it’ll burn too fast!
Next you’re going to want to pick a fragrance. These are fall candles so it’s fun to pick scents like pumpkin spice, apple, nutmeg, vanilla bean, and/or whatever you think fits fall best! You can use different essential oil blends or fragrance oils to get the scent you’d like.
When adding the fragrance/essential oils you usually will want 1-2 Tbsp of oil for every pound of wax you use. After you make your first candle you can decide if you’d like more or less depending on how your first one went!
Below are some fun ideas for fall essential oil blends. (Although you’ll be using more drops than shown in the picture, since you’re making candles!)
If you’d like your fall candles to have a nice color, then you can add coloring with powdered or liquid candle dye which you can find online or at a craft store. Orange, red, amber, and cream colors are all perfect for the fall!
If you can’t find any candle dyes, you can always use crayons to melt into the wax to color your fall candles!
Cute Container Of Your Choice For Your Fall Candles
Finally you’re going to need some containers to put your DIY fall candles in. Any heat-proof container will do the trick! This could be anything from mason jars to metal tins. You can even decorate the containers if you’d like!
How To Make Your Perfect DIY Fall Candles
Now for the fun part, making your perfect fall candles!
- First you’re going to want to melt your wax over the stove in a double boiler. Try to melt twice the amount the you think you’ll need! If you have any leftover wax you can just let it cool and save it for another day.
- After the wax has melted, take it off the stove and add your colorings and the oil blend of your choice. If you’re using crayons to color your fall candles, add the crayons into the double boiler when the wax is just almost melted so that the crayons can melt as well!
- If you’d like you can super glue or tape your wick down to the bottom of your candle container and then prop it up by wrapping it around a pencil that lays across the opening of your container. You could even use two popsicle sticks to keep it in place!
- Next carefully pour your hot wax into the container and let cool. You can speed up the cooling process by putting it in the fridge if you’d like.
- Enjoy your perfect DIY fall candles!