Face masks are the first steps to healing you skin, when used regularly they can rejuvenate your skin and make it glow. Sometimes buying them can cost a lot and you have no idea what chemicals have gone into them, so here are 8 homemade face mask recipes that are better than the shop brought ones.
1. Turmeric + yogurt
Turmeric is known for it’s antioxidant qualities, and has been used as a beauty tool in Asian cultures for hundreds of years. the yogurt is cooling and leaves your skin glowing, this is great for people with oily and acne prone skin.
- mix 1/2 tbs turmreic and 1 1/2 tbs natural yogurt
- apply even layer to your skin
- leave on for 15-20 minutes and wash off with warm water
2. Charcoal + PVA glue
You’ve all seen the charcoal face masks that have blown up the internet recently, it is guaranteed to take out all the junk filling up your pores, however these can be so expensive and most you find online don’t even work. Well look no further because you can make one at home using just two ingredients, activated charcoal and PVA glue. You would need to buy the activated charcoal pills from a shop like Holland and Barrett, these pills will last you a few months if not a whole year, and PVA glue from The Works is good (just make sure the PVA glue is safe for your skin before buying, most of them are so you don’t have to worry too much).
- Pull apart 1 charcoal pill into a small dish and add around 1 1/2 tsp of PVA glue
- mix these together and apply an even layer to your skin
- leave on until it has completely dried, usually around 20 mins
- peel off in an upwards motion (this bit might hurt)
3. Bicarbonate soda + honey
This is a miracle face mask/scrub, it takes away blackheads and leaves your skin glowing. The bicarbonate soda is a really good ingredient for a deep cleanse, this will soften skin by taking away dead skin too.
- mix together 2 tbs bicarbonate soda and 1 tbs honey (add more honey if you want it to be runnier)
- apply evenly to face and leave on for 15 mins
- before taking it off scrub into face for around 3 mins
- wash off with warm water and pat skin dry with towel
4. Honey + cinnamon + lemon
This is a great face mask to make when you’re on a budget because you’ll probably find all three things in your kitchen. This is great for all skin types and will leave your skin looking and feeling amazing.
- mix together 2 tsp honey, 1 tsp cinnamon and 1 tsp fresh lemon juice
- apply evenly to skin and leave on for 15 mins, wash off with warm water
5. coconut oil + honey
This is a quick and simple face mask to moisturise skin, it is great for people who have dry skin and only has two ingredients!
- mix together 2 tsp coconut oil and 1 tsp honey
- apply even layer to skin and wash off after 10 – 15 mins
6. oats + yogurt + honey
I know this seems like a breakfast recipe but hear me out. This is great for a deep cleanse, the yogurt is great for oily skin, and the honey is moisturising and the oats will take the junk out of your pores.
- 1 tbs oats, 1 tbs yogurt and 1 tsp honey, mix into paste
- apply evenly to face and was off after 15-20 mins
7. rose water + sugar
This is a scrub mask which has been used in India for decades and it’s so simple. This will cleanse your face and do it without damaging your wallet.
- 1 tbs rose water and 3/4 tbs sugar mixed together
- apply to face and leave on for 15 mins
- when taking it off scrub into face for around 3 mins and wash off
8. Banana peel
Just trust me on this one. After Huda Kattan posted a video of her doing this, I just had to try it and it actually works, this helps clear up skin and makes it glow.
- Eat a banana and instead of putting the peel in the bin, cut it up and put it on your face
- leave it on your face for 15 – 20 mins, wash your face when done
Which face mask recipes will you try? Tell us in the comments!
Featured Image Source: www.pinterest.com