If you’re from Kansas, you’ve probably heard all of the usual jokes. You also know something that no one else does; there are perks to being from the Midwest, but there are also plenty of downsides. These are the 20 signs you grew up in Kansas!
1. You’ve heard all the ‘Wizard of Oz’ jokes that people can come up with.
No I didn’t follow the yellow brick road to get here. No I don’t have a dog named Toto. At least be original.
2. And you’ve heard all the stupid questions that people can come up with.
“Do you live on a farm?” “Do you eat a lot of corn?” “Have you experienced a tornado?” “Are there malls in Kansas?”
3. Visiting any other part of the country is a total culture shock.
You’re used to people randomly smiling or waving at you on that sidewalk so when you go to the east coast and see everyone’s RBF, you can’t help but feel like an alien.
4. Local subways and metros are a foreign concept.
Excuse me, what is public transportation?
5. You dread cross-state road trips because there’s no such thing as a ‘scenic route’ in Kansas.
Corn, corn, corn, and more corn.
6. When you wanted to get out of town for the day, you really only had a few options.
Worlds of Fun, Kansas City, Topeka or a cider mill?
7. You don’t quite know why you have to explain the difference between Kansas City, KS and Kansas City, MO.
8. If it’s not boiling hot or freezing cold then it’s just ridiculously humid.
RIP to your curly haired friends.
9. You LOVE Sonic. I mean LOVE.
How do you beat the aesthetic of eating in the parking lot, being served by people on roller skates working at a fast food restaurant, and over a thousand drink options? You just can’t.
10. Non-midwesterners try to convince you that have an accent, when really you’re just flat.
No, I do not say ‘apple’ weirdly.
11. You’ve realized that people outside of Kansas have no idea what puppy chow is.
We’re not talking about dog food! Educate yourselves!
12. You either love or hate barbecue.
Our pride and joy is burnt ends.
13. You dread going to the airport simply because it’s the ugliest construction you’ve ever laid eyes on.
Because waiting in a concrete warehouse for several hours is exactly how I want to spend my morning.
14. You know what lady bug season is. And you dread it.
IT IS A LEGITIMATE INFESTATION. THEY ARE NOT CUTE. THEY’RE EVERYWHERE.
15. You know what the sky looks like when there’s going to be a tornado warning.
You might as well have just sleep in your basement.
16. Your ‘niceness’ freaks people out.
“Why are you smiling so much?”
17. If you’re a liberal, you keep your mouth shut during political discussions at the dinner table.
18. You’ve been to the Fritz’s Railroad Restaurant at least once.
Who doesn’t want a toy train to bring them their food?
19. If you don’t like country music, you’re shunned.
Blake Shelton? Tim McGraw? Miranda Lambert? You bet.
20. No one wants to visit your home town.
It’s hard to understand its charm when you haven’t lived there. So even though your friends will never want to see where you grew up, you know deep down that there’s “no place like home”.
Do you have any other signs you grew up in Kansas!? Share in the comments below!
Featured Image: weheartit
"Pitt Class of 2021 Writing Major Ukulele Player, Curly Girl, Slam Poetry Enthusiast, Animal Lover, Aspiring Scriptwriter, etc."