It’s that time of the year again as high school students make what seems one of the HARDEST decisions in their life and as current college students are slowly decaying from excessive Starbucks intakes and trying to finish the semester with a decent grade. Going to the great U in the south of Florida can be excessively fun at times but also very hard especially maintaining that school, social, sleep Bermuda triangle. But what does it really mean to be a student at University of Miami?
1. You go to South Beach, Brickell, Key Biscayne, Coconut Groove or some night life and regret it either half way through or the morning after when your trying to get your life together.
You’ll will tell yourself your not going out and then later think how you got to go out in the first place. You’ll end up picking up the pieces and memories of last night together in the morning and try to finish any homework that you were suppose to do.
2. You put aside your homework to enjoy the tropical paradise you live in.
One of the few times procrastinating is worth going outside for. 24/7, 365 days a year (minus the one week it feels like winter) you will be almost guaranteed to have sunshine and heat. The winters consist of shorts and burks and the summers consist of even shorter shorts and burks. One wardrobe for all year round. I mean they don’t call the Miami basketball team the Miami Heat for nothing.
3. You spend at least one or two nights at Club Ritcher trying to organize your life.
When your friends from up North say all you do is party when in reality the only party your going to is the ALL NIGHTER ALL YOU CAN SNACK party. This place will become your holy Mecca to finish late night assignments but also the place you avoid the most for procrastination.
4. You look forward to the farmers market on campus on Wednesday’s to keep you going throughout the week.
The acai bowls are everyone’s go to so make sure to get there earlier when they are setting up. The kettle corn and hibachi are also favorites on campus too.
5. The school pride is REAL and constant year round.
Your closet will be full of Gameday and Miami T-shirts from all the free events on campus. Whenever another Florida school tries to stomp on your school you know Miami is about to bring the storm to them. Daily reminders, events, and gear is always around campus so you never forget where you go to college.
6. 95% of the fall is spent talking about Gameday plans or what your going to wear.
Just like the school spirit the outfits and plans for the FALL are critical and crucial to a successful tailgate season. It’s one of the most anticipated times of the year and if football isn’t your thing well the holidays are around the corner and there are a bunch of holiday themed events on and off campus going on.
7. Your active in at least one or two organizations on campus and constantly repping your org on social media or by wearing their shirt around campus.
Everyone at the University of Miami is proud or passionate about something in their life. Whether its your greek fam or salsa nights at the Wellness Center everyone loves something and is extremely proud to be loud about what they love.
8. You can make it from Mahoney-Pearson or Stanford-Hetcht residential buildings to COX science center in 10 minutes flat running.
The University of Miami’s campus is exclusive, exotic, and definitely not as big as some Florida school’s to give you that nice home cozy feel without seeing the same faces 10x a day.
9. You probably snoozed your alarm a couple times only to learn how to FLY to class in 2 minutes.
You honestly learn how to BLAST or FLY from Point A to Point B. There has been too many times where I woke up and realized that class started ten minutes ago and you learn how to transform yourself into a decent looking person to run to class. Meanwhile your papers are everywhere in your backpack, your down to your last pencil, or you forgot your charger, but you still made it.
10. You always have the CANES family and support of your school, friends, and random people on campus that are always willing to help you.
Canes Care for Canes is REAL. There has been numerous times where I have seen people need help on game day or needed help with notes they missed in class because they were sick or that one loyal companion that sends you the code to TOPHAT because your late to class.