If you’re reading this article, it is probably because you’re in a dorm room right now, so look up and take in your surroundings. These four walls are your home now, scary to think about, but fun in practice. Now that you’re living on your own you get to make all the calls about home decor. Before you whip out the Bed, Bath & Beyond catalogue, remember that you may be on your own but you still have the same budget you did when you lived at home, roughly, zero dollars. Instead of investing all your money on an ornamental pineapple try out this fun DIY projects that will add some life to your dorm room.
Nothing says romance and whimsey like a couple of twinkle lights, hang them from your roof or display them on your bookshelf to make your dorm room feel like a fairy tale. This DIY project is very easy to do and requires only two tools.
- White LED Christmas Lights
- Sticky Hooks
1. Place three to five sticky hooks on your roof by removing the adhesive tape from the back of the hooks. Sticky hooks are great for DIY projects in your dorm room because they don’t leave holes in your walls so you can easily change them around later.
2. Intertwine your Christmas lights through the hooks, making sure that their placement is sturdy so that they don’t fall on you.
All done, DIY projects really can be this easy and give you great results.
Plants are the best way to add some life into your dorm room, literally. Now, taking care of plants is another story, you’re going to be busy so you’re not going to want to use high-maintenance plants for this DIY project. Try to find succulents, airplants, spider plants or cacti, they are very easy to take care of because you only need to water them once a month at most.
- Hanging Planter Vases
- Geometric wall sconces
1. Plant your plants into your hanging planter vases. Using rocks as your base so that when you do water your plants you don’t have any water leakage.
2. Hang your geometric wall sconces on your wall then place your planters into them gently. If you’re worried about the fit use super glue to secure.
3. Markdown a day in your agenda once a week to check on your plants. Remember, living plants are cute home decor, dead ones smell bad.
There you have it an easy DIY plant project to make your dorm room feel a little more lively.
My boyfriend’s mother loves coasters, and I get why. Not only do they protect your furniture, but they can actually be cute AF and add some fun into the home. Now, you don’t own your coffee table so you don’t have to be super strict with your guests about using coasters, however, you can still have cute coasters just to have on display. They are super easy to make and totally customizable.
- Ceramic Tiles (Local hardware stores have free tile samples you can use)
- Mod Podge
- Printer paper
1. Cover both sides of your tile with Mod Podge, make sure to get the edges
2. Draw or print your design off onto a piece of paper, cut it to fit your tile
3. Place your design onto your tile and cover it with more Mod Podge. Repeat this step 3 times, don’t let it dry in between coats.
4. Let your tiles dry for three days before use
Coasters are a super cute DIY project that requires some effort to throw together, so make sure you have enough time to finish this project once you start it.
You won’t get a lot of choices when it comes to what decor items come with your dorm room. However, mugs are very cheap and are a great way to take ownership of your space, because you can take them with you wherever you move next. Display your mugs proudly with this cool DIY project.
- One Wood plank
- Hooks (if you want to get extra creative, go to a vintage store to find unique hooks)
- Paint and Markers
- Command sticky strips
1. Nail your hooks onto your wood plank, about 5 inches apart, depending on your mug size
2. Jazz up your plank of wood with paint and markers, make it your own personal style
3. Hang your plank of wood using command sticky strips
4. Display your mugs proudly on your brand new rack
This rack may stay in your college dorm room, but you will take your mugs with you to all of your future homes, so display them proudly wherever you go!
College is going to be hectic and you’re going to want to stay on top of all of your assignments, tests, social events, and laundry days. You will probably end of having seven or eight different agendas that have all your information in them. That’s great, keep doing that, because any sort of organization will help you out. However, if you’re looking for a more visual representation of your calendar, this DIY project will help you out. Make a giant wall calendar that you can change monthly and looks so cute you’ll think you bought it.
- 37 12×12 photo frames
- Black construction paper
- White dry erase marker
- Command sticky hooks
1. Take out any paper or photos that might still be in your frames and replace with black construction paper.
2.Hang your 37 photo frames in a calendar formation on your wall
2. Use your dry erase markers to write days of the week at the top of the Calendar (Monday-Sunday) and the corresponding month numbers.
3. Write down any important tests, assignments or dates on your calendar.
Now you have a very large and visual representation of everything you have to do this month, now all you have to do is actually get all the work done.
What are your DIY tips? Tell us in the comments!
Featured Image Source: www.pinterest.com
A digital content producer who loves writing about all things pop-culture, fashion and of course food! Follow me on Instagram, @mackenzie_jaquish for updates on my newest articles.