Whether you actually enjoy the process of cooking or not, most of us are always trying to find ways to cut back on the time it takes to prepare our meals and snacks. There are a lot of ways we can cut corners without sacrificing the quality of what we produce in the kitchen! Here are 20 cooking hacks that are bound to save you loads of time when cooking and preparing food.
1. Use a straw to “core” strawberries.
Forget wasting half of it by chopping off the top!
2. Put oil around your measuring utensils when scooping things like peanut butter and honey.
It’ll slide out much more easily!
3. Get all ingredients and utensils out ahead of time.
Always be prepared so you don’t have to go searching for things last minute.
4. When you’re cooking something that requires oil, make sure the oil is heated up in the pan before adding everything else.
This will speed up your cooking time!
5. Plan your meals ahead of time.
Know everything you want to cook before you step into the kitchen.
6. Prepare for leftovers.
Make a little extra so you can have leftovers. This way, you don’t have to prepare a meal the next day! This is one of the best cooking hacks to try out!
7. Use a crock pot/ slow cooker at every possible instance.
You can throw a lot of food in the crock pot and just let it cook on its own for a couple hours. No slaving over the stove required.
8. Don’t stop cleaning.
Clean as you go and there will be a lot less to do afterwards.
9. Put your trash can closer to your work space.
So you don’t have a massive garbage pile on your counter that you have to work around.
10. Re-arrange cookware for efficiency.
Know how often you use what, and move things around accordingly!
11. Buy a spice rack/ organizer.
Most of us have way too many spices in the pantry, and we always have to search through ALL of them before we find the one we need. Organize them to make your life a lot easier.
12. Use one measuring cup for all dry ingredients.
So you don’t have to wash the measuring cups every time you use them.
13. Always grate your butter.
It’ll get to room temperature much easier.
14. Ripen bananas faster by putting them in the over.
For that awesome banana split recipe you’ve been dying to try.
15. Spray your cheese grater with non-stick spray before using it.
Make it a lot easier to move the cheese across the grater. Your arm will thank you.
16. Use a straw to suck out excess air from plastic bags.
Home-made vacuum seal packs accompanied with a straw are one of the best cooking hacks you need.
17. Use a pizza cutter to slice your herbs.
Herbs slice pretty easily, and it can be annoying to try and keep drawing your knife across the cutting board when it would be a lot easier to just continuously roll a pizza cutter back and forth. You don’t even have to lift it from the cutting board!
18. Put cold bacon in the oven on convection to make it crisp again.
No, you didn’t waste all your time making that extra bacon. Make it perfectly crispy again with this trick!
19. Put plastic wrap around your plates before using them.
For when you know you’re going to be too lazy to wash dishes.
20. Run warm water over your knife before cutting into cake.
Then, dry it off to make your slicing job much cleaner!
Did you like these cooking hacks? Let us know in the comment section below!
Featured Image Source: www. Unsplash.com
My name is Kassidy Barber, I'm 20 years old, and I'm currently working on my B.A. in English with a minor in web communications at the University of Alabama in Huntsville! I love video games, lots of T.V. shows, dogs, and especially food (both cooking and eating)!