College meals are one of the biggest obstacles for busy students. High sodium foods, lots of sandwiches and pasta are infamous college foods that are scarfed down between classes and homework. Hate to break it to you, but a single granola bar hanging in your stomach won’t get you through the day. Here are some ways to get creative with college meals while balancing a heavy workload and maintaining a budget!
1. Avocado and Egg Toast
Trusted your gut and thought you could take a 9am this semester? No problem! With this easy breakfast recipe, you can whip this up in no time and still make it to your class on time! A simple and nutritious breakfast and easy to prepare for those 9am hassles.
Here are your ingredients:
Whole Wheat Bread, 1 egg, 1 yellow onion, Garlic Salt, Pepper, Butter, and Avocado
- Start off by heating up your pan. In the meantime, you can chop up your onion.
- Once your pan is heated add a tablespoon of butter
- Add in your onion, season with garlic salt
- While you wait for your onions to cook… Put your bread in the toaster. Toast at your liking.
- Cut your avocado into slices.
- Once the bread is toasted, spread as much avocado as you’d like to your toast.
- Take out onions once they are golden brown
- Cook egg to your liking (Scrambled, Fried)
- Add Garlic Salt and Pepper to your egg
- Place egg on toast
- Bon Appétit
2. Mac ‘n Mug
Hungry on your way to the lecture? Instead of reaching for Kraft Mac ‘n “Cheese, a box of food that contains a mysterious cheese powder that is added to the macaroni noodles, opt for healthier college meals!
Here’s a new and improved macaroni and cheese dish that will leave you knowing what ingredients you’re putting into your body.
Macaroni noodles, Salt, Pepper, Shredded Cheddar Cheese, Butter, Milk, a Mug.
- In your mug add your macaroni noodles, fill the mug with just enough water and add salt
- Microwave the mug with ingredients for 3 minutes or until noodles are cooked
- Pour out excess water from the mug
- Add 4 tablespoon of milk
- Add 1 tablespoon of butter
- Add as much cheddar cheese as you’d like
- Microwave the mug with ingredients for another 30 seconds
- Season to taste with salt and pepper
- Optional: Add crushed up bits of Doritos Nacho Cheese Chips for a nice crunch
- Unique tip: For those real Mac’n Cheeser’s who are willing to take a risk, Add KETCHUP it will change the Mac’n Cheese game. Don’t “Ewww” it, just TRY IT! TRUST ME!
3. Homemade Esquite
Tired of your traditional snacks of chips, candy and energy drinks? Here is a tasty Latinx snack that will surpass the yummy-ness of any other snack.
Canned Corn, Mayonaisse, Butter, Queso Fresco
Optional: Tajin/Chile Powder
- Open the canned corn,
- Pour out the liquid from the can and rinse the corn with water
- In a cup or bowl pour in the rinsed corn into it
- Add a dollop of Mayo
- Add a dollop of butter
- Add as much queso fresco as you’d like
- Add your tajin or chili powder if desired
- Then you mix it all together and you get the best of both worlds!
- Ahora Disfruta!
4. Cup Noodles Upgrade
Need a quick dinner before studying? Reaching for the traditional Cup Noodles College Feast? These simple add-ons to your soup are a game-changer to all instant noodle college meals. With some simple ingredients that will add zest to your soup, you’ll forget about all the sodium your ingesting.
Cup Noodles (Any flavor), Cilantro, Onion, Tapatio, Lime, Knorr Chicken Boullion Seasoning.
- Boil water for Cup noodles or Microwave Cup noodles with the amount of water needed
- Cut 4-5 stems of cilantro into small pieces
- Cut a small section of onion and dice up to pieces
- Once water is boiled add to Cup Noodles/ Remove Cup noodles from Microwave
- Add the diced cilantro and onion to the soup
- Add half a tablespoon of the Knorr’s Chicken Boullion Seasoning
- Squeeze out 1/2 of lime into the soup
- Add Tapatio if desired
5. Microwaved French Toast
It may seem impossible to work french toast into on-the-go college meals, but think again! Get ready for a yummy, filling and nutritious breakfast ready in minutes.
Milk, Butter, Cinnamon, 1 egg, 1 cup of bread pieces, Maple Syrup, Mug
- Grab your mug and place 2 tablespoons of butter in it and microwave it for 15-20 seconds
- Once you microwave your butter, pour milk into the mug, add your egg and as much cinnamon as you’d like
- Whisk these ingredients with a fork
- Add in your cut up bread pieces. (Make sure the bread pieces are submerged with the egg and milk)
- Let it soak for 1 minute
- Place Mug with ingredients in the microwave for 90 seconds or until cooked
- Add your maple syrup to the french toast
- Eat up!
- Optional: Add fresh slices of banana or berries to spice up your Microwaved French Toast!
6. Black Bean Tortilla Soup
Simple, nutritious, and delicious! This is a quick and easy, vegetarian-friendly meal ready in minutes!
Ingredients: Can of Black Bean Soup (Goya is where it’s at), Sour Cream, Queso Fresco (or any shredded cheese), Tortilla Chips, Bowl
- Open can of Black Bean Soup, boil in the stove, or Microwave in bowl
- Optional: Season the soup to taste with salt
- Once the soup is heated up add a dollop of sour cream
- As much cheese as desired
- A handful of tortilla chips in soup
- Optional: Add some Avocado!
Which of these healthy college meals will you be working into your busy day? Let us know in the comments down below!
Feautred Image Source: https://www.pinterest.com/pin/764767580454716289/
Journalism MajorCalifornia State University Dominguez Hills