If you’ve heard it once, you’ve heard it a million times; millennials love avocado toast. We get it. Avocado is healthy and tasty and putting it on toast is simple and fast. Quite frankly, we’re getting tired of hearing about avocado on toast. Avocado is such a versatile vegetable! It deserves more. We’ve got avocado recipes that aren’t just boring avocado toast because we’ve all been making avocado crawl when it was born to fly.
Avocado Mint Chocolate Chip Ice Cream
Avocado recipes don’t always need to be savoury! Try this sweet treat to satisfy your sweet tooth.
- 3 avocados ripe
- 2 cans (14 oz each) full fat coconut milk
- 3/4 cup maple syrup
- 1/2 teaspoon mint extract
- 1 cup vegan chocolate chips
Avocado Pesto Pasta With Crab
For the sauce (makes about 1 ¾ – 2 cup of sauce):
- 2 large ripe avocados
- ½ C fresh basil leaves
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tbsp pine nuts
- 2 tbsp fresh lemon juice (zest the lemon first and hang onto the zest for serving, if you like)
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tbsp water
- ½ tsp fine sea salt, more or less to taste
For the dish:
- 400g spaghetti, gluten-free or regular
- 340g (12oz) of frozen cooked king crabmeat, thawed
- Pasta water to thin to desired consistency
- For garnish:
- 3 tbsp toasted pine nuts
- Zest from lemon, above
- Dried pepper flakes
- Fresh black pepper and additional salt to taste
- Fresh basil leaves to garnish
1. Bring a large pot of pasta water to boil.
2. Meanwhile, place all ingredients for the creamy avocado pesto sauce into a blender. Blend until smooth. Pour into a vessel large enough for tossing with the pasta when it is ready.
3. Cook pasta according to package directions for al dente. Without pouring away the pasta water (keep it on simmer), use tongs to bring the hot pasta into the vessel holding the creamy avocado pesto sauce. Toss around until the pasta is well coated with the sauce. Add splashes of hot pasta water as needed to thin out to your desired consistency.
4. Quick-blanch the king crabmeat chunks in the simmering pasta water until heated through, about a minute not long since it is already cooked.
5. Add the crab to the pasta now and give everything a gentle, final toss. Divide among plates and serve with sprinkles of toasted pine nuts, lemon zest, dried red pepper flakes for some heat and definitely loads of fresh cracked black pepper. Enjoy!
Avocado Summer Rolls
Any avocado recipes that feature rice paper (our fave for the moment), are sure to make it to our list. Not to mention, these are so eye catching!
- ½ cup full-fat coconut milk
- ¼ cup basil
- 1 tablespoon cashew butter
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 3 thai chiles, ¼ jalapeño pepper, or ½ teaspoon sriracha, more as desired*
- ½ clove garlic
- ½ teaspoon fresh ginger
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt
- 6 spring roll rice wrappers (12-inch ones are best)
- 4 ounces cooked rice noodles
- 4 ounces extra-firm tofu, sliced into strips (we used raw)
- 1 ripe avocado, sliced
- 2 ripe peaches or 1 ripe mango, sliced
- ½ watermelon radish, very thinly sliced, optional
- Fresh basil, Thai basil and/or mint
- Pinches of sesame seeds
- Tamari and sriracha, optional for serving
1. Make the basil coconut sauce: In a food processor, combine the coconut milk, basil, cashew butter, lime juice, chiles, garlic, ginger, and salt. Pulse until well combined. Season to taste.
2. Assemble the summer rolls: Fill a shallow glass baking dish with 1-inch of warm water. Submerge one rice paper in the warm water for 7 seconds and then lay the softened wrapper on a clean, damp kitchen towel. Place desired fillings into the center of the wrapper. Fold the bottom of the wrapper over the filling and gently tuck the filling under the wrapper. Fold the sides over the filling. Then continue rolling and tucking the rice paper to form a summer roll. Repeat with the remaining rice papers.
3. Serve with the Basil Coconut Sauce for dipping. Serve with tamari and sriracha on the side, if desired.
Chipotle Popcorn with Avocado Butter
This recipe is one of the easiest avocado recipes we’ve ever done. You’ll never want to go back to avocado toast after you try this. And you won’t need napkins because you’ll want to lick your fingers!
- 2 avocados
- Juice of 1 lime
- Zest of ½ lime
- 1 tsp. salt
- ½ tsp. fresh ground black pepper
- ¼ cup butter
- 1/4 garlic clove (peeled)
- 1 teaspoon ground chipotle
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- Your choice of plain popcorn
1. Melt butter in a bowl.
2. Remove the avocado flesh and combine all ingredients except butter in a food processor.
3. Start the processor and slowly drizzle the butter in until it is a smooth mixture.
4. Pop the popcorn and place into large bowl.
5. Drizzle avocado butter onto popcorn. Enjoy!
We could never get sick of avocado. It’s one of those foods you could have every day and not be tired of! Let us know in the comments which of the avocado recipes you’re most likely to try.
Featured image source: twitter.com
A lover of timeless fashion, treating hair like an accessory, and a filling meal. Using her articles to sprinkle a little more Black girl magic all over the internet. Usually seen wearing four different hairstyles in one week.