The Ultimate Vegan Tofu Scramble Recipe You Need To Try
22. Graduate. Vegan. Enjoys laughing, sleeping and a good binge…
People are often apprehensive to go vegan because they think it will mean giving up all their favourite foods. Never fear!! Eating a plant-based diet is not about giving up, it’s about swapping the foods you eat and veganising your favourite recipes. There’s heaps of easy vegan breakfast recipes available, and this is a vegan take on everyone’s seedy Sunday morning breakfast- scrambled eggs! This vegan tofu scramble breakfast for one only takes 15 minutes to cook, and is super easy to cook in a bigger batch for all your hungover friends too…
You Will Need:
- 150-200g of plain tofu
- 2 slices of bread
- Vegetable oil
- Nutritional Yeast Flakes
- Cherry tomatoes
- Optional- Spinach, mushrooms and avocado
- Drizzle vegetable oil into small pan and preheat on a medium heat stove top.
- Using paper towel, squeeze the moisture out of the tofu*.
- Place tofu in pan, and break apart using a spoon or spatula.
- Cook for 5 minutes, occasionally overturning the tofu so it cooks evenly.
- Season with salt, pepper and cumin (as much as desired) and mix through.
- Add 1 tablespoon of nutritional yeast** and 1 teaspoon of turmeric. Not only do these add flavour, they turn the tofu yellow which makes them look just like scrambled eggs. Mix through to evenly coat all the tofu, and cook for another 5 minutes.
- Slice a handful of cherry tomatoes in half and add to the pan. If desired, and some diced mushroom and spinach leaves too.
- Toast your bread and spread margarine or avocado on top.
- Spoon the tofu scramble on top of your toast, and enjoy!
If you’ve never cooked with tofu before, don’t be afraid! It’s super versatile, and will taste like whatever you season it with. It’s usually packaged in liquid to keep it fresh, but if it’s too moist your recipes won’t work. It may take several paper towels, but sponge and squeeze the liquid out (without breaking the tofu apart) until it leaves little to no water marks on the paper. Nutritional yeast is a common vegan ingredient, used to add protein and flavour to meals. It’s in many vegan recipes so I recommend getting some to use in your plant-based experiments!
What do you think of this vegan tofu scramble recipe? Let us know if you try it out in the comment section below!
Featured Image Source: http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2016/03/turkish-style-vegan-tofu-scramble-menemen-vegan-experience-recipe.html
22. Graduate. Vegan. Enjoys laughing, sleeping and a good binge (...on Netflix).