If you are attending UCONN in the fall for the first time, you will definitely need to read these tips for UCONN freshmen!
1. Pack your rain gear, including a waterproof backpack.
It rains at UConn every Tuesday, and walking around campus in wet shoes and clothes and a wet laptop is the last thing you want.
2. Southerners, buy snow gear ASAP
This includes winter COATS (not jackets), hats, snow boots, scarves, gloves, and thick socks. Unfortunately, UConn rarely cancels when it snows, and most days in the winter the temperature could get well below freezing. Not to mention, we have to worst wind ever.
3. Don’t bring home your winter coat after spring break.
Out-of-state kids usually take their winter coat home during spring break, but this is SUCH a bad idea! Don’t let the random warm days in early March confuse you, because there are plenty of days in later March or April in which it will be freezing.
4. The dining hall food is actually good, so don’t let your friends convince you others.
And the international food is actually the best! It may be scary to try but once you do you’ll love it.
5. If you’re a freshman, your dorms will most likely suck but don’t worry, they get better eventually.
Okay, maybe not till junior year, but the wait will be worth it!
6. Wear shower shoes.
No one wants nasty toe fungus.
7. Learn your drinking limits.
This is a big campus. Although it is safe, blacking out is never safe. And throwing up is never fun!
8. Not everyone parties and/or drinks.
It may seem like everyone wants to party, but there are plenty of people who don’t. If you know a lot of people who party but don’t want to, try to get involved in activities that you’re interested in so you learn of all the alternative things you can do on the weekends!
9. Guys can’t get into frat parties unless they are in that frat.
So guys, don’t waste your time even trying.
10. Freshman year, YOU NEED TO SOCIALIZE.
Freshman year is when everyone is in the same spot. No one has a solid friend group and everyone is trying to learn where they fit in. This is the perfect opportunity for you to find your social circle! So even to my fellow introverts out there, please force yourself to socialize, especially in activities!
11. Get involved!
This is one of the most crucial tips that you need to follow at UConn. UConn is a great school, but it has so much to offer. If anyone ever tells you there’s “nothing to do” at UConn, it’s because they’re not involved! But if you’re involved in clubs, you learn so much about campus and life that you never would before.
12. Learn something about basketball.
If you haven’t heard, UConn is pretty good at basketball. So before you come here, you don’t need to know all the rules, but you should at least know the names of the popular players.
13. Go to review sessions and office hours.
It’s easy to ignore this advice, but make sure you do it! Some classes are really difficult and asking for help from a professor or TA will improve how you understand the material.
14. Utilize the Q center.
Again, I understand how hard it is to ask for help, but Q classes are really difficult. Tutors in the Q center will help you understand qualitative classes and you’ll meet other students who need help as well.
15. Learn to dress in layers.
Weather can be so unpredictable, it’ll be freezing when you wake up, boiling in the middle of the day, and classes in new buildings will be freezing but in old buildings will be boiling. So make sure you wear layers so you can easily strip down or bundle up.
16. The “rape trail” is just a really unfortunate name for a really beautiful and safe, paved trail.
But you still probably shouldn’t walk on it at night alone if you’re belligerent, just like anywhere else.
17. Bring plenty of singles.
…To pay for sober rides.
18. Speaking of sober rides, you can earn a lot of money for sober driving!
Just grab a friend and charge $2 per head and you’ll make nice cash.
19. Buy season tickets to football and basketball games even if you won’t go.
You can sell them on the “UConn Buy or Sell” facebook group to break even or make a profit!
20. Enjoy all of campus!
There are so many amazing opportunities at this huge campus. Don’t be afraid to put yourself out there so you can experience all that UConn has to offer!
Students today, Huskies forever!