Attending an all girls school is something you can only truly understand if you have lived through it. As an incoming sophomore I’m so much more prepared this year than last fall as I entered St. Catherine University. Attending an all girls school in Saint Paul, MN has been an incredible experience so far. This is primarily because it is an all girls school and is centered-focused on social justice. Cheers to all of you who are alumni, presently attending, or plan on attending an all girls school. Here are 20 things you can only understand if you are attending an all girls school.
1. Being repeatedly asked the question of “Why would you want to be attending an all girls school anyway”?
2. Knowing that fall does not include football or homecoming.
3. You certainly have had second thoughts about attending an all girls school…
4. That time of the month doesn’t just fall on one person…
5. Dressing down is extremely normal.
6. But you are never in short supply of a dress for formal.
7. You also never need to go out and buy a new pair of heels.
8. Actually, with so many girls to borrow from, you really never need to go out and buy anything.
9. Wearing makeup is a very personal choice.
10. The happiness that is being able to walk around with only a sports bra and shorts on the dorm floor.
11. Women empowerment. Do I have to say more?
12. Crocs still exist and are actually a huge thing.
13. Discussions can get real good…
14. Reaching out to other students is easier when they’re all women.
15. “Gender pronouns” becomes a huge part of your vocabulary.
16. It is easier to find all your “girlfriend” types.
17. There is more womanly advice to go around.
18. Single? Getting connected is simpler than anything.
19. You can still spread out to neighboring schools that are most likely co-ed.
20. The confidence and strength to reach one’s potential seriously grows like wildfire.
What else is to be expected from attending an all girls school? Comment below and share this article with friends!
Featured image source: theatlantic.com, wildfox.tumblr.com
Undergrad student at St. Catherine University. Studying social work & communication studies/journalism. Lives up to Gandhi's quote, "Be the change you want to see in the world."