Attention all soon-to-be or current Georgia Tech students! Keep reading for a list of 20 things you should know about Georgia Tech!
1. Our mascot is the Yellow Jacket.
Known for being quite a formidable and dangerous creature, and way more dangerous than a bee. Okay, fine, he’s actually named Buzz, and is better known around campus for his high-fives, hugs, dancing, and generally brightening everyone’s day!
2. Every week is called “Hell Week”.
Our students rarely get a break from school, and while we complain, cry, and whine, we wouldn’t have it any other way. And let’s be honest, we’ve all made some great friendships while bonding over an overly intense professor’s class.
3. We can come up with the nerdiest pick up lines – and totally own it.
4. “The odds are good, but the goods are odd”. Refers to our infamous dating pool, or lack thereof.
5. Atlanta has it all.
Major league sports? Check. Arts and music? Check. Lots of green space? Check. Yes, traffic is unbearable, but only because there’s so many places to go and things to do! At least that’s what we tell ourselves at 6pm…
6. We get the coolest visitors.
I’m not saying President Obama dropped by our school for 20 minutes to talk about his new education reform, buuuut… he did! Other awesome people who’ve dropped by include Neil DeGrasse Tyson, Nasim Pedrad, Ben Affleck, Anna Kendrick, and B.O.B just to name a few!
7. We skip classes to study for other classes.
8. Sleep? We can sleep when we’re dead.
9. We have students from nearly 100 different countries, so…we have a lot of students who play FIFA.
10. GTWifi can be the death of you sometimes.
11. We work hard and play harder.
We all have friends who manage to go out every night of the week – Buckhead, Midtown, and so many other neighborhoods nearby have an awesome nightlife.
12. When you’re trying to get lunch at the Student Center, every line is the longest line.
13. On any given day, you’ll end up with at least 3 organization flyers on your way to class.
No matter how intently you were looking at your phone and avoiding eye contact…
14. We all know at least one person who can solve a Rubik’s cube in under one minute.
15. Why yes, Klingon, Java, and binary code do count as foreign languages.
16. It’s not uncommon to see someone studying in the gym…or at a football game…or on a Friday night.
17. Our library is being renovated! (In that there will be no more physical books.)
18. Caffeine runs through our veins.
19. When we graduate, we call it “getting out”.
20. We make memories that will last a lifetime.
We all know through the stress, late nights, coffee, crying and craziness, that we go to one of the best, hardest, and most rewarding schools in the entire world. It goes by too fast, but we will always be proud to bleed white and gold! Go Jackets!
Do you have any other things we should know about Georgia Tech? Comment below and share this article with a friend!
Featured Image Source: Instagram.com/georgiatech, ajc.com
Anu is a senior at Georgia Tech, studying Economics and Business. Anu loves music, writing, travelling, laughing, learning languages, and being outdoors. At any given time, you can find her watching The Office or laughing at her own jokes. She is super stoked about sharing her thoughts with other college students on Society19!