Over and over people exclaim, “long distance relationships do not work out!” I’ve been in a relationship for five years, out of those five, two have been long-distance. I move around quite often and continue to stay connected with my high school sweetheart. As much as I’d love to live in the same town as him, sometimes it doesn’t bother me that I’m over 200 miles away. That being said, I have learned a thing or two about what it’s like being in an LDR, and for those of you considering it, here are 20 things you can definitely expect to happen when you’re in a long distance relationship.
1. You learn how hard “Goodbyes” can be.
And they never get any easier.
2. You experience very low levels of intimacy.
Which is to be expected.
3. You have way more free time for yourself.
4. Your phone becomes stocked with all your new favorite apps.
Skype…Facetime…and basically any other form of communication.
5. You discover the importance of communication.
Since it’s basically the only reminder to why you’ve both chosen to commit to your relationship.
6. Your trust becomes stronger.
It’s the only way for a long distance relationship to work.
7. You look forward to “goodnight” calls.
Every. Single. Night.
8. You gain a new appreciation to snail mail.
A cute detail to remember, guys!
9. Text messages never become “too-much.”
Morning, night, right in the middle of Chem lab – keep ’em coming!
10. Surprise visits become the best visits.
11. Your life becomes a scene out of a romantic movie…
Okay – maybe this one’s just in your head…But when you see your significant other for the first time in a long time, it’s pretty amazing.
12. You realize how much goes on in your life.
Anytime you see your SO, there is always something to catch up on…even though you talk every day.
13. You get creative with dates.
Like looking at the moon at the same time – trust me, it’s cute.
14. You get very comfortable with Snapchat videos.
Get ready for lots of personal snaps.
15. You check up on each other quite often.
For example, “Are you working on your homework? Don’t forget to do your homework!”
16. Your love becomes stronger.
17. You become more motivated to look good.
What better surprise can you give your SO?
18. When you see each other, you can’t keep your hands off each other.
You immediately become magnets.
19. You don’t mind conversations about the weather.
Just talking to your SO, no matter what it’s about, makes you happy.
20. Life becomes more exciting and full of surprises.
And who doesn’t love a good surprise?
These twenty things are only a few things that happen while in a long distance relationship. Yes, it is hard. No, it is not impossible. When you love someone, distance means so little. We are only given one life so we must do the best we can with it. Don’t be afraid to jump into a long distance relationship. If it is meant to be then the bond will become stronger. If not, move on to the next relationship. Best of luck to all who are willing to try this and congratulations to all who are happy while being in a long distance relationship.
Have something to add to the list of things that happen when you’re in a long distance relationship? Share in the comments!
Featured image source: thehautemess.comAdvertisement
Undergrad student at St. Catherine University. Studying social work & communication studies/journalism. Lives up to Gandhi's quote, "Be the change you want to see in the world."